Monday, August 15, 2016

8/15/16. The post where I run out of spoons.

8/15/16: things have been normal lately.  Which means crazy.  A lot of work and a lot of play, in very hot and humid weather.  And for the most part, my foot has cooperated, thanks mostly to HAL.  In fact, it's been a long time since I've had a really extended flare up and my spoon drawer has stayed full. 

Some of you have probably heard me talk about spoon theory before, but if you've never heard of it, here's the origin.  http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ It's a common theme with people who have chronic pain illnesses.  But over the last few months, for the most part (if you don't count that tiny ligament tear), I have felt so good that I haven't even thought about spoons. Which is why I didn't think twice about the aggressive weekend schedule I planned or the storms coming in.

Then I woke up this morning and checked my body's utensil drawer...and discovered I was completely out of spoons.  I looked everywhere.  I would have been satisfied with a ladle, or even a couple of measuring spoons. I spent about 15 minutes trying to talk myself into believing I had a couple of spoons before I gave up and went back to bed.  Fortunately, my work calendar was pretty light and I was able to stay home without too much guilt.  Tomorrow is a different story, so I have to get it together, and I feel like I can.  While I can't say my foot feels any better, a rest day is just what the doctor ordered. As is the delicious, rainy weather soup my patient, long-suffering husband made for dinner. 

Remember that old Alanis Morrisette song "Ironic"?  One of the lines in the song is, "It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife."  Having 10,000 spoons doesn't sound ironic to me. It sounds awesome.  


No comments:

Post a Comment