Friday, July 22, 2016

7/22/16. The post where I am cautioumistic.

7/22/16: I have gone a week without wearing the air cast.  I was a little wobbly for the first few days.  I think I looked a little like this:  https://youtu.be/s3womp1b1I4  But by Thursday, I was getting around well enough to take a short walk before work.  It didn't feel great, but it didn't feel terrible, so I did it again today.  I am also finished with physical therapy.  Okay, technically, I wasn't released from physical therapy.  I just snuck out of the office on Tuesday without making another appointment.  I think I've gotten all I can out of the appointments and I feel confident in my ability to keep up with the exercises on my own.  I've had a couple of RSD flare ups over the course of the week, but nothing I can't handle.

The rest of my week has gone in a similar fashion.  Yes, some scary things have happened in the world. But I also had some fun times with my patient, long-suffering husband and some great friends. I found out today that Fabian Cancellara, the cyclist I've been rooting for the last two weeks, withdrew from the Tour de France.  But it is not because of an injury - he just figured out he can't win and needs to rest up so he can participate in the Olympics, which are only two weeks away.  So I have another chance to root for him.  My mom, who continues her own medical journey, had an uncomfortable procedure this week, but one that we hope will give her some relief from the even more uncomfortable situation she's been in for the last few months.

An awesome woman who has been my hair stylist and friend for more than fifteen years taught me a word that describes how I feel right now.  She calls it "cautioumistic" - an abbreviation of cautiously optimistic.  I'm not sure if that's the right way to spell it, but that is the beauty of a made-up word.  I am cautioumistic for me, for my mom, for Fabian Cancellara, and for the world. And I hope you all will be, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment