Friday, July 8, 2016

7/8/16. The post where I get a little emotional.

7/8/16: started physical therapy yesterday.  Since it was the first visit, there was a lot of measuring, testing, and touching of my foot.  Not my favorite thing. My physical therapist has at least a passing familiarity with RSD and is interested in learning more, so he asked approximately a thousand questions, most of which are unrelated to my current injury.  He gave me a few easy stretches and exercises to do until my next appointment and stressed that I should only do them to the extent it doesn't cause a flare up. 

Well, too late.  Between the first PT appointment, the oppressive humidity this week, and stress, I've got a pretty good flare-up going.  If you've been reading my blog since the beginning, you know that I am very careful about my privacy and that of my friends and family, so I share few details about my profession, my home, or my personal life.  I also rarely discuss current events.  But I will tell you that the events of this week have had particular meaning for me and I am physically, mentally, and emotionally drained.  So this evening, there was no TV or Internet (unless you count the Tour de France and my blog app).  But there was comfort food.  When you have the good fortune to be loved by a chef who can't stand to see you sad and in pain, you get cacio e pepe for dinner instead of the diet salad you were planning to eat.  For those of you unfamiliar with cacio e pepe, imagine grownup, Italian macaroni and cheese. Just what the doctor ordered and a good reminder that I am a lucky girl.

As long as I am talking about emotional things, I will also tell you about a film that was released today.  It is called "Trial by Fire" and it is a documentary about CRPS/RSD.  http://www.trialbyfiremovie.com/    I am very glad it exists, because I think education is one of the keys to a cure.  I have no idea whether it is a good film.  Because I'm not sure I can watch it.  And I definitely cannot watch it right now.  Rash optimism has been one of my best defenses so far, which has meant staying away from support groups or too much discussion about it.  I'm afraid that makes me a poor ambassador, but to quote one of my favorite movies ("Love Actually"), it's a self-preservation thing.  https://youtu.be/UB-r_yJtC5Q. Now that's a movie I can watch, over and over.  And sort of appropriate for this week, now that I think about it.  

Sorry this hasn't been a very fun post - I promise to do better next time.  My best recommendation for getting through the weekend?  Make some cacio e pepe.  Turn off the news and Internet for awhile.  And be good to each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment