Wednesday, August 19, 2015

8/19/15. The post where I tell you about my trip.

8/19/15: whew.  It's been an eventful two weeks.  My patient, long-suffering husband and I left nearly two weeks ago to celebrate his numerically significant birthday.  The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

We've driven several thousand miles.  We've visited siblings - his and mine.  We've eaten some wonderful food and seen some beautiful scenery.  We've tasted a lot of wine.  We've purchased a lot of wine.  We've hauled a lot of wine in and out of hotel rooms.  It's been an epic journey.  Two more days of driving and we'll be home.  Just in time for a really busy fall. We will probably spend the next few months eating ramen noodles and living on love, but it was worth it. There are lots of stories to tell, but I will save them for a rainy day.  And based on what we've seen over the last two weeks, much of this country could use a rainy day.

Lots of things have happened while we have been enjoying our trip.  Mom has had a setback and will have to undergo additional radiation.  A musician friend is nearing the end of a valiant fight with brain cancer.  An acquaintance whose daughter is dealing with RSD and other medical issues had a house fire while she was at the hospital with her daughter.  Makes my complaints seem even pettier than usual.

Frankly, I haven't had too many complaints, at least where my feet are concerned. I've had a few ups and downs, but for the most part, hot and dry weather seems to agree with RSD.  And I know for sure that my stimulator is working. Guess how I know?  Because I had the brilliant idea to turn it off for a few hours today.  Even after changing the program a few times over the course of the trip, I was becoming a little annoyed by the vibrations and I was starting to get pretty frequent foot cramps, which I attributed to the stimulator.  I was feeling well enough that I thought I would try going without it.  Not a good idea. Things were okay in the car, but as soon as I tried to step on it, my foot quickly reminded me that I have the stimulator for a reason.  I turned it back on, but the damage was done.  Hoping I can get a good night's sleep and wake up refreshed for the final leg of our journey.  But even if I don't, at least I have enough good memories to last a lifetime.  Oh, and about ten cases of wine...







No comments:

Post a Comment