Friday, September 11, 2015

9/11/15. The post where I wish it would rain...until it does.

9/11/15: I've spent the last few weeks ramping back up to whirling dervish mode.  In addition to work, the music series, rehearsals, and other commitments, it's time for the annual charity musical.  Which I agreed to do, of course, because I don't always exercise good judgment when it comes to my calendar. On Tuesday, I ate all three meals at my desk at work.  I am going to try not to make that a habit.

The skies have been threatening rain for almost two weeks, which has resulted in a mini-flare up.  While it has been manageable, I've been wishing for the rain to hurry up, in hopes of getting rid of the humidity.  Every day I have checked the forecast, only to be disappointed.  Finally, it rained a little on Wednesday evening.  Which just made the humidity worse.  So much for my little theory.

Thursday was a busy day.  I was having a few friends over after work, and then we had a musician staying with us for an upcoming concert. This isn't my first rodeo, so I knew exactly how much time I needed to prepare.  I just needed to leave work 30 minutes early for a quick run to the grocery store and I could have everything ready before anyone arrived.  I was able to make my getaway on time and I knew exactly what I needed at the store. So far, so good.

As I stood in line at the checkout, I heard a thunderclap.  Uh, oh.  Then another.  Then the heavens burst open.  By the time I checked out and pushed my cart to the store entrance, it was jammed full of people watching the storm. People who weren't expecting guests at their house in 20 minutes.  After a few minutes of hesitation, I hiked my grocery bags onto my shoulders and prepared to brave the deluge.  At least I had an umbrella in my purse.

Or should I say, half an umbrella.  It has been so long since it last rained, I forgot that my umbrella had suffered a disfiguring accident.  Several of the ribs were bent and the fabric was torn on one side.  Oh well, it would have to do.  As I stood just under the awning, in my work clothes and heels, with grocery bags on both shoulders and a mangled umbrella over my head, I asked the crowd to wish me luck.  As most people laughed or wished me luck, someone helpfully said, "Don't try to run!"  Excellent advice, actually. I stepped out and slogged through water higher than my shoes across the parking lot to my car.  By the time I loaded my bags and got into the car, I was soaked, the inside of my car was soaked, and most of my groceries were soaked.  But I made it.  As I left the parking lot, I flashed my onlookers the V for Victory sign.  In my mind, they were all cheering me on. But more than likely, they were shaking their heads and posting pictures of me on their social media. #lunatic

I made it home, dried off myself and my groceries, and still had things ready(ish) by the time everyone got there.  The storm only lasted long enough for me to drive home, so my guests were dry when they arrived.  A fine time was had by all.  And guess what? It is still humid today, and my flare up has not abated.  I'm done wishing for rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment