Sunday, September 20, 2015

9/20/15. The post where I talk about gate control theory.

9/20/15: not many changes since the last time I posted.  I continue to stay busy and my flare up continues, although it hasn't gotten worse.  One thing that has changed? I have retired from playing handbells. (In case you are wondering, the pension for retired bell players is not great.)  I've had increasing physical difficulty playing over the last few seasons and we finally rounded up enough new players for me to make a graceful exit.  While I will miss my fellow players, I'm not sorry to have gained a free evening every week. Which I have currently filled again with rehearsals for the musical, but that will only last another month. After that, who knows what I'll do with my free time? Probably something crazy and decadent. Like laundry.

I know what some of you are thinking. Maybe I could stand to do a little less and rest a little more.  So, let's talk about "gate control theory."  I will save you the trouble of looking it up. I tried to find a link to a simple explanation, but everything out there about it on the interwebs is too nerdy, even for me, so here's my version.  Gate control theory is a pain theory stating that there are "gates" controlling pain signals to your brain, and you can close the gates (temporarily) by sending conflicting signals.  My spinal cord stimulator works on this theory.  By flooding my brain with motion/vibration signals, it keeps some of the pain signals from going through.  (As you know from previous posts, the trade off is feeling like my foot is stuck in an electrical socket.  Frankly, it's a pretty good trade off.)

I think my lifestyle takes gate control theory to its logical (some would say absurd) conclusion.  Staying physically and mentally occupied helps me block out pain signals.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Sure, there are times where my pain level gets high enough that it doesn't work.  But right now is not one of those times, so I am taking advantage of it.  

For instance, last night my patient, long-suffering husband and I went to a concert. As spectators, not participants.  A modern concert in a huge hall, complete with flashing lights and pounding bass, where we stood on a concrete floor with 2,000 other people for three hours.  If only it had been outside in an ice storm, it would have included every possible trigger for a flare up. Most people would agree that it wasn't a wise choice for me.  Fortunately, I am not most people.  Because we had a great time.  Did it hurt? Yes. But not any worse than it would have hurt if I'd spent the night sitting on the couch instead. So, maybe there is something to this gate control theory, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment