Thursday, July 16, 2015

7/16/15. The post where I have an unexpected victory.

7/16/15: today was the first day of my annual continuing education class.  At the risk of dating myself, this is the 22nd year I have taken this particular class.  (Yep, I just dated myself.)  However, the location changed two years ago.  And when I walked into the room today, I made a surprising discovery.

The room is laid out like a modern college classroom - an auditorium style with long tables that stair-step down to a stage in the front.  The top row of seats, closest to the entrance, have a sign saying they are reserved for the "mobility impaired."  Two years ago, the first time the class was held in this location, I was wearing the "long" boot to recover from what my doctor thought was just a broken bone in my foot.  So I sat in the mobility impaired row.

Last year, the class started a day after I had a surgical procedure to install the trial spinal cord stimulator for a week to see if it would provide any relief.  I had two incisions in my back with wires coming out that attached to the stimulator on my belt.  And...oh yeah...I almost forgot...unbelievably horrific foot pain, which was why I was trying out a stimulator.  So I sat in the mobility impaired row.

This morning, I walked into the classroom and headed straight toward the mobility impaired row. And suddenly I realized, I don't have to sit there! I can sit anywhere I want.  So I proudly walked down several steps and sat in the middle of the room.  Sometimes it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment