Sunday, March 9, 2014

3/9/14. The post where I talk about pain levels.

3/9/14: had a great visit with my family.  True to my promise, I took it slow and rested when I needed to get off my foot. I said good bye to my family this morning and took off in my cowboy boots for church, where I found that my sweet friend and choir companion had worn her boots in solidarity with me.  Maybe we'll start a choir trend.
The afternoon was filled with assorted chores, most of which (thankfully) could be done sitting down.  It's been rainy and cold all weekend, although not quite as cold as recent fronts, so my foot hasn't complained quite as loudly.  I've had a few spikes close to 8, today but stayed mostly in the 6.5-7 range.

I've been thinking a lot about the pain level system I've been using. While it is somewhat subjective, I do have specific sensations I associate with specific numbers, to try to keep it consistent.  As you know, I haven't reported anything below a 5.5 since I started the blog.  I wonder sometimes if my number system is inflated. Maybe what feels like a 9 to me would only be a 5 to others.  Maybe I just have a low tolerance for pain.

But I don't think so.  I've been through a lot in my life.  Among other things, I've had a disc removed and two vertebrae fused together.  I've had emergency surgeries to remove my gall bladder and appendix.  I've had a uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.  (Yep, that's a thing.  Here's a link in case you want to see what it is. But I don't recommend it.)  I've had a splint stitched inside my nose for two weeks. I've had a splint removed from inside my nose. I've paid money to hear Russell Crowe's band perform live. I am familiar with pain and I certainly have previous experience to compare with this.

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter what it would feel like to someone else.  I know what it feels like to me.  And the 0-10 system is at least a semi-objective way to measure it, so I guess I'll keep using it.  I'm looking forward to using the 0-5 half of the system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment