Tuesday, June 10, 2014

6/10/14. The post where we can't possibly be any more relaxed.

6/10/14:  after my post last night, we had the nutty idea to walk back into the village for dessert and a nightcap.  I'm glad we did it - it was fun to see the village nightlife.  And after the hike back up to our apartment, we slept quite well.

We woke up pretty early this morning to see not one, but two cruise ships in the harbor.  We quickly dressed and walked down to have breakfast and watch the village get ready for the swarm of tourists.  It's amazing how quickly we have become possessive of "our" village.  No Disney cruises today - a huge Royal Caribbean ship and a smaller Ibero ship (a Spanish cruise line).  We watched everyone disembark while we ate our pain chocolat and yogurt.  

Here are a few photos of the walk up to our apartment so you can see it without actually having to do it:

Our apartment is halfway up the hill just to the right of the pink building.

A set of stairs approximately a third of the way up.


Another set of stairs approximately two thirds of the way up.



Even in the morning, we returned from our hike soaked and tired. We checked the local weather.  At 9am this morning, the temperature was 84 degrees and the weather forecast for today called for a high of...wait for it...78 degrees.  I'm no meteorologist, but I would guess the high for today would be >=84 degrees.  Apparently weather forecasting is not their strong suit.

We took a car trip to the neighboring peninsula to see the sights in a nearby town.  We took a walk on a lovely promenade that followed the beach and had unbelievably delicious bouillabaisse.  Here is a photo of my patient, long-suffering husband's reaction to the bouillabaisse.  (The cuts on his nose look much worse up close, but as you can see, they are healing nicely.) 

We drove on amazingly steep and winding roads with beautiful views, if you were brave enough to take your eyes off the road to see them.  We also saw a beautiful panoramic view of Monaco. 

We returned to the apartment in the late afternoon, tired but very happy.  And then I took a nap.  It may be that I have not totally adjusted to the time change, or it may be that I am physically tired from all the activity.  Or maybe I am just relaxed.  I woke up and joined my patient, long-suffering husband in the garden for our now-familiar evening of drinking wine, eating snacks, and watching the scenery.  

The Royal Carribean ship got its passengers embarked in good order and was on its way.  The Ibero ship, however, had significantly more difficulty.  I will refrain from any stereotypical remarks regarding the typical pace of life in Spain. We watched ferries bring passengers back to the ship for three and a half hours.  And then we realized the most stressful part of our day was spending three and a half hours wondering whether all the passengers would make it back to the cruise ship before it left.  I think this just became officially the best trip ever.

I know this blog is supposed to be about my foot, but it is not important to me right now.  There are things that feel better and there are new pains.  C'est la vie.  There are only two things that matter right now.  Being here in paradise with my patient, long-suffering husband, and making sure the Spanish cruise ship makes it way out of the harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment