Saturday, June 28, 2014

6/28/14. The post where I tell you about our trip home.


6/28/14: we had a relatively late flight, so we were able to sleep until a reasonable hour and have a leisurely breakfast.  Then it was all aboard the hotel shuttle for the trip to the terminal, which took all of three minutes.  When we tipped the very professional driver for loading and unloading our bags, he said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you.  May God listen to you."  I've not heard a blessing expressed quite that way before, but I certainly liked it.  Probably a translation issue, but it felt particularly meaningful.

While most of the airport check in area was crowded, our particular airline was not, and we breezed right through.  We were quite early, so we settled into a restaurant for a bit, then went to the gate.  Frankfurt airport gets a big thumbs up in my book.  The airport was large and clean, the employees were pleasant and professional, and their security measures were sufficient without being degrading.  

We were able to book "economy comfort" seats for our return flight, which I also highly recommend.  The seats had more legroom and reclined further, and we got some of the business class perks.  We had a very pleasant flight to the U.S., most of which I spent catching up on recent Disney movies.  ("Oh, so that's what this whole 'Let It Go' thing is all about!")

My third travel recommendation is the global entry/TSA pre-check program.  When we got to JFK, we skipped long lines at both passport control and customs, and the security check was at least slightly more pleasant.  It was well worth the time and money we invested.   We found ourselves in the secure part of the terminal with three hours to spare before our final flight.

JFK airport?  Well, it was still a pit.  I can safely say they have not made any improvements in the last three weeks.  The international terminal was a little more pleasant and we found a wine bar where we could get a snack, charge our electronics, and have our first U.S. wine in three weeks.  Eventually, though, we had to make our way to the domestic terminal.  I will spare you the gory details, but suffice it to say the only thing missing was passengers carrying live goats and chickens.  We were tempted to go back to Europe just so we could avoid waiting in the domestic terminal.  Barring major renovations, I will do my best to avoid it in the future.

This was truly the trip of a lifetime.  I was afraid I'd built it up too much in my mind and would be disappointed, but it was even better than I had imagined.  Some people come home from vacation tan, rested, and ready.  I am coming home sunburned, fat, and incredibly happy.  While I am happy to come home and see family and friends, there is part of me that would have been very, very happy to stay.  It's back to the real world now, with work, diet, commitments, and doctor appointments.  Au revoir, arrivederci, and auf wiedersehen.


No comments:

Post a Comment