Thursday, June 19, 2014

6/18/14, part 2. The post where I tell you more about the rooster.

Editor's note: I am publishing several days' worth of posts, so you may need to scroll down to see things in order.  We have been following the advice of this sign from a local restaurant.



6/18/14: I can't believe I almost forgot to tell you about the rooster.  While there are multiple roosters we can hear from our villa, we have one particular rooster friend.  Really, he's more of a "frenemy".  He does, without a doubt, the worst impression of a rooster I've ever heard.  Rather than the regular "cockadoodledoo" most of the roosters around here do, his is more of a "cockdoodoo".  To me, it sounds like he is hollering "Peekaboo!" incessantly.  His rooster friends must be horrified.  But he doesn't care.  He's letting his freak flag fly.  From about 4 to 7am every day.  And then again from about 3 to 6pm.  I hope it's helping him with his lady friends, but I seriously doubt it.

No Russell for us today.  Our villa is situated above his home, so we could see he was quite busy this evening.  He had to accompany his mom out to get eggs from the chicken coop.  Then some people came over to help his dad with some work in the barn, and his assistance was required.  No time to waste lounging around with the Americans who will be gone soon.  

Instead, we spent our evening engaged in a cherry pit spitting contest.  And while my form improved considerably over the course of the evening, I could never come anywhere close to matching my patient, long-suffering husband's distance.  I still have a few more days to practice, though, so he'd better watch his back.

If you're like me, you're sick and tired of talking about my foot, which is why I haven't mentioned it much.  But in case you are interested, it's doing amazingly well under the circumstances.  No, it does not like the long walks and hikes.  But I don't seem to be doing any permanent damage, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well I bounce back each day.  I'm getting plenty of rest every day, which I'm sure is helping.  I can almost convince myself it is going into remission.  We'll see what happens when I get back into my normal routine.  In the meantime, I plan to continue ignoring it.  I don't have time to worry about it.  I have to work on my cherry pit spitting skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment