Thursday, June 26, 2014

6/26/14. The post where the French impress us again with their mad restaurant skills.

6/26/14:  we closed down the restaurant again last night.  When you outlast the Europeans at dinner, you know you are having a good vacation.  My foot decided to behave itself today, which was a relief. We left Lake Konstanz this morning for Strasbourg, on the border of France and Germany.

Our drive took us through the Black Forest, with more unbelievably beautiful scenery.  We saw what was billed as the world's largest cuckoo clock, although the current limits of my access to technology will not allow me to show you the photo.  The trip was very pleasant and uneventful until we got to Strasbourg and tried to find our hotel.  That's when when we found out that TomTom doesn't recognize one-way or pedestrian-only streets.  Thanks to my patient, long-suffering husband's mad driving skills and my mad navigational skills, we finally made it to the hotel without injury to ourselves or others.

Strasbourg is a lovely city.  Part French, part German, part Norman, and part Amsterdam (minus the Red Light District).  It was a great place to wander around.  





We visited the Cathédrale, which has one of the most famous organs in the world and a huge astronomical clock.




We had dinner at another ridiculously good restaurant.  The French aren't fooling around when it comes to food and service.  Seriously, who needs four dessert courses?  Apparently I do.  I hope to remember the experience for the next six months while I am eating ramen noodles and raw vegetables trying to fit back into my clothes.  Luckily, we only have one more crazy good dining experience left before we come home and my dress doesn't contain any buttons that could potentially take someone's eye out.  



No comments:

Post a Comment