Thursday, January 30, 2014

1/30/14. The post where I explain the blog name.

January 30, 2014:  another fairly good day.  My foot started swelling again last night and was swollen all day today.  I hoped that would end when I quit taking the Lyrica, but apparently it is RSD-related.  I had a pedicure today, which felt great while I was having it, but caused some issues later.  Rats.  On the plus side, my toes look great.

Between my reduced clothing and shoe options and the need to dress warmly, I look a little less put together each day.  If I were a celebrity, I could pass it off as "eccentric", but on me it looks a little more like "vagrant".  Looking forward to the warmer weather this weekend.

A couple of housekeeping items - I added dates to the titles of all my posts to date on the request of a friend who reads diligently every day and wants to make sure she doesn't miss any posts.  Advance apologies if my editing results in all the posts being sent again to the people following via email.

Also, some of you have asked about the name of the blog.  It is named after my response to a well-meaning but socially awkward co-worker, whose question to me the first ten times she saw me after I returned to work was, "Does it still hurt?"  Yes, it hurts.

One of the reasons I bring up the well-meaning but socially awkward co-worker is that I had an interaction with said co-worker today that was frustrating, but also made for interesting research into my disorder.   The co-worker (let's use the term "she" for purposes of the story) cornered me today.  After asking me again if it hurts (yes, it hurts), she asked if it would make me feel better to hear a story about someone else going through a rough time.  I said "no, it wouldn't", and she said, "well, I'll tell you anyway because it's an interesting story."  She then proceeded to tell me about a relative who is dealing with the effects of a very serious injury.  While I tried to chew my leg off and escape, she continued with a story about a relative who also has RSD and why I was lucky my situation was not like her relative's.  She finished by giving me advice on how I should deal with RSD, based on a text message exchange she had with her relative.  Did I mention that she has a particularly distinctive accent and loud voice?  And that the entire time she was talking, I was standing awkwardly in the door to my office holding the lunch I had just heated in the microwave?

One of the things I've learned in my research is that because the sympathetic nerve system is responsible for the "fight or flight" instinct, stress and loud noises can trigger the symptoms of RSD. Guess what?  They can.  Next time, I guess I'll have to pick either fight or flight.  Option C (aka standing there imagining chewing my leg off and escaping) was not effective.  Fortunately, I did not choose Option D (aka throw my lunch at her and slam my door, which I guess includes fight and flight).  I still have some self-control.

Another PT appointment tomorrow.  I'll try to talk them into taking a photo so you can see what the harness looks like.  It's the least I can do to entertain you on a Friday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment