Monday, January 20, 2014

1/20/14. The post where I appreciate small victories.

January 20, 2014:  A little bit of relief today.  The swelling went down in the night, which is always good news.  Pain was down to an 8.  Maybe even a 7.5.  I was off work for MLK Day and I was glad to feel a little better, because I had a lot of chores planned.

My patient, long-suffering (and wonderful) husband got me out of the house last night for some fun to get my mind off things, so I was also in a better frame of mind today.  Except for one thing.  We went to a couple of local "hipster" hangouts, which made me realize how totally uncool I have become.  Not sure when that happened.  But my best guess is 1981.

It doesn't help that I can't fit into 3/4 of my clothes.  For those keeping score at home, I've gained another three pounds since I started taking the Lyrica.  The good news is that according to my fancy scale, which tells me everything from my body mass index to the team batting average of the 1969 Yankees (.235), it's just water weight.  The bad news is that my clothes don't care.  All they know is that this is not what they signed on for, and they don't want to play anymore.  Unless the Lyrica makes a miraculous turnaround in the next day before my appointment, chances are I won't be taking it anymore, and I can't say I'll miss it.  

I didn't get everything on my list accomplished today, but I put several things in the win column.  Most importantly, I went to the grocery store by myself.  I can't remember the last time I've done that.  I'm sure everyone in the parking lot noticed the goofy smile on my face.  I also made dinner.  Yes, I know, it's not like I ran a marathon.  But you know what?  That's what it felt like.  Did it hurt?  Yes.  Will I pay for it tomorrow?  Maybe.  But it was worth it.      

No comments:

Post a Comment