Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1/29/14. The post where I read a scarier blog than mine.


January 29, 2014: much better day today.  Slept remarkably well (once I got to sleep) and woke up feeling a lot better.  The weather is still unseasonably cold, so I made sure I dressed warmly today and wore thick socks.  It definitely seems to make a difference.  My patient, long-suffering (and incredibly sweet) husband assures me I am still cute wrapped in multiple layers of clothes.  I'm not so sure.




Made it through most of the day at no more than a 6, even after a full day at work and two hours of choir practice.  Woo-hoo!

As you all know, I've been doing a lot of Internet research to try to educate myself about RSD/CRPS.  I also "follow" an RSD association on Facebook, and they periodically post interesting articles, research, questions, etc.  They posted a link to a blog published today by the father of a teenager with this disorder.  (You may remember from an earlier post that right now, the mean onset age of RSD is 42, but it is beginning to be diagnosed more often in children and teenagers.)  

I really struggled over whether to share this link with you.  Today was such a good day, and I wanted to write a light, funny post.  Ultimately, though, I decided it was important to share it.  Sorry.    

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moret/personal-health-_b_4682631.html

I can't imagine struggling with this as a teenager.  Being a teenager is hard enough as it is.  While yesterday was a new low for me, after reading this, I feel very fortunate.  I have 45 years of experience as a happy, optimistic person and a strong support group of friends and family to get me through bad days.  My story might be very different if this had happened 30 years ago.  While I will probably never write a blog that is published in the Huffington Post, I also will probably never write a blog as dark as this one.  That's not how I roll, and I hope it never will be.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to enjoy a glass of wine and savor the last few minutes of a good day. Here's hoping tomorrow is as good.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment