Sunday, January 26, 2014

1/25/14. The post where I show off my mad hosting skills.

January 25, 2014: slept a lot better than the previous night and woke up feeling better.  It was still cold out, but my body had adjusted.  This was a day I had been looking forward to all week - we were having some friends over for a wine tasting.  I was also a little nervous, as it was the first social event we had hosted since my diagnosis, and it has become clear that I can't predict how I am going to feel at any given moment.  It was a fairly simple event - all we were providing was the venue and a few food items.  A good way to dip my toe back in the social pool.

Started the day by bundling up and going to breakfast with a friend who is going through a rough patch and needed a little company.  (It's not always about me, remember?)  So far, so good.  Back home to meet up with my patient, long-suffering husband to make a grocery list and accompany him to the store.  About half-way through the trip my foot began to protest loudly.  Apparently grocery stores, and society in general, frown upon you lying down in the middle of an aisle to rest, so I slogged on and made it back home to rest.

For the rest of the day, I helped when I could and rested when I needed to.  Fortunately for me and our guests, my patient, long-suffering husband (a former chef), had things well under control.  Despite my lack of assistance, everything was ready when guests arrived.  And by "everything", I mean myself as well.  I was wearing two matching shoes and looked like I was ready to greet company.

The right shoe made it about 20 minutes into the evening.  Hoping to look more like a casual host and less like the tipsy bride in Sixteen Candles, I soon removed the left shoe as well. By the end of the evening, I was sprawled out on a chair with my foot up, letting my guests bring me food and refill my wine.  Not my finest hosting gig, but all went well and a fun time was had by all, including me.  




No comments:

Post a Comment