Thursday, January 23, 2014

1/23/14. The post where I remember it's not all about me.

January 23, 2014:  first day without Lyrica.  Didn't sleep that well, and woke up 15 minutes before my alarm.  That's actually good news - other than the whole foot thing, I'm already starting to feel normal again.  My foot was pretty swollen, but didn't feel too bad, maybe a 6 or 6.5.  And it's a good thing, because I had a really busy day planned at work.  No time to think about this.

I've spent a lot of time on myself recently: taking care of basic needs (which takes a long time these days), doing research, visiting doctors, taking medicine, feeling sorry for myself, trying not to feel sorry for myself.  Several things happened today that reminded me I'm much happier when I think about other people.

First, a new "Kid President" video came out today.  For those of you who are not familiar, he is a kid with osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disease) who makes funny, inspirational videos.  A few weeks after leg surgery, he made a new video that made me laugh and cry at the same time.  If you haven't seen him and need a lift, here's a link to his latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-EwrhsMzY&list=SPzvRx_johoA-YabI6FWcU-jL6nKA1Um-t&index=1

Second, I learned about two people in my life who are struggling with serious issues.  One physical and one mental, both potentially life-threatening.  Puts things into perspective.  I'll either stop hurting or I won't.  Either way, life will go on, with the help of friends and family who love me.  While this diagnosis has taught me that I need to spend a little more time on myself, I would rather spend time caring for other people, because that's where I get energy. Hmm...does that make me selfish?  Guilty as charged.    


No comments:

Post a Comment