Saturday, November 15, 2014

11/15/14. The post where I jump-start my diet.

11/15/14: everything went like clockwork yesterday, thanks to a lot of assistance from my patient, long-suffering husband.  Since it was a cold, blustery night, we made a variety of soups and served them with grilled cheese sandwiches.  We had a lively book club discussion and a fine time was had by all.  Being on my feet all afternoon was a little difficult, but I turned the stimulator up near the maximum and it helped quite a bit.  

I felt pretty rotten this morning, not surprisingly.  I still have quite a bit of drainage from my sinus infection and my joints were aching, maybe from all the work yesterday and maybe from the cold weather.  I had a pretty slow morning and then went out for a manicure and pedicure.  

Let's talk for a minute about vomiting. (Yes, I know, you are thinking, "Let's not." But I'm going there.)  As you know, I have a tendency toward nausea when taking any kind of prescription medication, but otherwise I generally have a pretty iron constitution and don't get stomach bugs very often.  But when I get them, I generally don't get a lot of warning, leading to some very interesting situations.  Here's a quick rundown of various places I have "tossed my tacos," either from prescription medications or ailments:

- every home I've ever lived in (and most of my family's homes)
- every school I've ever attended and every office I've ever worked in
- the drinking fountain in my high school principal's office suite, and 
- the summit of a hike in a national park (so much for "Take only photos, leave only footprints.")

I suspect my family will remind me of other instances after they read this.  But the point of my story? Now I can add a nail salon to my list.  The good news is that I had enough warning not to do it in a public place.  And my manicurist was very kind and helpful.  I felt much better afterward and was able to finish my appointment.  ("How Great is Your Dane?" From the OPI Nordic collection.)  Must have been all that sinus drainage.  

After my appointment, I met my weight-loss challenge friend for "coffee" and to talk about jump-starting our diets.  (I say "coffee" because I am not a coffee drinker.)  Since I was still feeling a little under the weather, I opted for an Italian soda, which helped my stomach.  We had a really nice time catching up, although my joints were still aching.  Darn this cold, wet weather!

We had a friend's 50th birthday party to attend this evening, a party I've been looking forward to for quite some time, so I thought I'd lie down for a bit.  Hmm, I'm a little flush.  Maybe I'd better take my temperature, just to be sure.  Well, $&*%.  I'm no doctor, but 100.8 doesn't seem right.  So much for the party, or for dong anything tomorrow, I suspect.

One interesting thing I've learned about my stimulator - it is really annoying when you have a stomach bug and achy joints.  I had to turn it down enough that I can barely feel the vibration, which of course means my foot is very unhappy.  It's an okay trade-off, though, and I'm hoping this will be over quickly. In the meantime, I'm enjoying some delicious Gatorade and saltines.  Which I have been keeping in stock over the last year for medication-induced nausea.  In case you are wondering, this is not the way I intended to jump-start my diet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment