Wednesday, November 5, 2014

11/5/14. The post where I have a wardrobe malfunction of a different kind.

11/5/14: ugh. Day number three of "sleeping" sitting up.  It started raining last night and it was cold and drizzly all day today.  Not the best weather when you are already sick.  I considered staying home, but since I couldn't sleep anyway and I knew I would be miserable, I decided I might as well be miserable at work.

You may recall that a few weeks ago, I packed up my office because I was getting new wallpaper.  Well, guess what?  My office is still filled with boxes and unhung art.  I unpacked just enough things to do the projects I am working on, and the rest has fallen by the wayside.  Every day, I vow I will unpack the next day, and this morning I decided today would be the day.  Since the weather was bad and I planned to be emptying boxes all day, I decided to dress casually.  Which is not as awesome as it sounds.  With all the swelling from my surgery (and by that, I mean all the weight I've gained during the last year), I don't have any pants that fit well, and I am much too stubborn to buy bigger pants.  I tried on pants in my closet until I found a pair that I could get fastened and went to work, hoping they would stretch out a little.

They didn't.  I spent the entire day holding my breath so the button didn't fly off and put someone's eye out, and I had a permanent wedgie.  Lesson learned?  I'm at least five pounds away from comfortably wearing my pants again.  And the worst part?  I didn't unpack a single box today.  I had to put out a couple of fires at work and before I knew it, the day was over.  I won't get to it tomorrow, either.  I have to teach two more classes, although I'm not sure how I am going to do that, since my voice is completely shot.  Class may turn into a games of charades.

One thing I did accomplish was making an appointment to have a new program added to my stimulator next Tuesday.  Not a moment too soon.  I have the amplitude turned up enough on the current program that the tingling is starting to really annoy me, and increasing levels of pain are sneaking through.  I know I haven't really talked about pain levels since my surgery, but these days I am hanging around the 3-4 range.  Not bad in the scheme of things, considering how much I've increased my activity level, but I'd like it to be better and I'm a little worried about it getting worse.  So I'm doing my best to stay ahead of it.

I snuck in a manicure at lunch ("Malaga Wine" from OPI's Classic Shades collection) and my poor manicurist sounded just as bad as I did.  I also went to choir rehearsal tonight, but just as an observer.  There was no way I could sing, but I've missed so many rehearsals already that I felt like I needed to be there.  After we got home, my patient, long-suffering husband made me a hot toddy.  And I was surprised to find that they really work!  My throat felt quite a bit better afterward.  Or maybe I just didn't care that my throat hurt.  Either way, I suspect my employer would frown on me having one at work, which is a shame. 


No comments:

Post a Comment