Thursday, November 20, 2014

11/20/14. The post where I get used to the cold.

11/20/14: started the morning Wednesday with a big breakfast at the pub, the first time I'd really felt like eating since I got sick.  It was a nice experience. I was sitting by a window with a view of a beautiful historical building, I had a cute Irish waiter who called me "dear" (thus ensuring a hefty tip), and I was seated next to two businessmen speaking French.  I felt very cosmopolitan.

It was still really cold, but I was ready for it.  Tights and socks, wool skirt and sweater, warm gloves, scarf and coat.  I had also brought ear warmers, but they wreck my hair, so I decided to go without them.  For two blocks.  Until the cold restored my sanity and I put them on for the rest of the walk.  My classmates would have to ignore my wrecked hair.

My class was in a very secure building, which meant x-ray machines and metal detectors.  I'm starting to get better at explaining my implant without sounding like a crazy person or a criminal.  I'm also starting to get used to being wanded and patted down.  The class was very useful and I was glad I went.  We did not get out in time for me to fly back last night, which meant I had a free evening.  It won't surprise anyone who knows me to hear that I made some new friends in the class and we decided to spend the evening exploring.  The cold almost made me reconsider, but I figured I would regret it today if I spent the evening in my room.  We had all been to DC before and had seen the sights, so we walked to a nice pedestrian area and checked out the night life.  Which was a little quiet on a blustery weeknight, but that was okay by us.  We ended the evening back in the pub, with promises to stay in touch.  One of the purposes of the class was to build a good network of people all over the country who perform the same job duties I do, so I would say it was a success.  

Back to the airport this morning to fly home, where it is considerably warmer.  Guess I'll put away my cold weather clothes for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment