Tuesday, November 18, 2014

11/18/14. The post where I reminisce.

11/18/14: as you would imagine, I slept horribly, spending the few hours I had in bed worrying that I'd forgotten to pack something or that somehow neither of my alarms would go off.  As a result, I was up about five minutes before either alarm went off.  The entire journey went off without a hitch.  Not surprisingly, there aren't many people on the road or in the airport at 4:30am.  I made my connection easily and arrived at my destination in time to check into the hotel before going to the training class.

I am in Washington DC, where it is bitterly cold (at least, in my opinion), but sunny and beautiful.  I prepared well, wearing several layers of clothing under my warmest coat.  This meant I was able to walk the half mile between the hotel and the training site. Something I wouldn't have been able to do pre-stimulator.  I even had time to stop for a sandwich, my first "meal" since I got sick a few days ago.  And it was the most delicious sandwich I've ever eaten.  Although my judgment may have been a little clouded after three days of saltines and ginger ale.  

The training went well and the trainers invited us all to an early dinner afterward.  This meant that by 6:30pm, I had eaten dinner and walked back to my hotel.  A little early to turn in, even for a girl who'd been up since 3am.  Fortunately, my hotel happens to have an authentic Irish pub attached, which meant I had somewhere to go without having to brave the cold again.  It was warm and cozy, and I enjoyed it even without any company.  It reminded me of the only trip I've ever made to Ireland, which was in similar weather, and I felt at home.  (Between the weather and travel, my foot was pretty unhappy all afternoon, but now that I am sitting inside a toasty pub with an appropriately-themed beverage, it has stopped protesting.)

It also reminded me of the last trip I made to our nation's capital, approximately nine years ago.  It was a mother-daughter trip I made with my mom and two dear friends (and their moms, of course).  It was one of the best trips ever.  Due to some once-in-a-lifetime circumstances, we traveled like celebrities, hobnobbing with important people, going to special events, eating in the best restaurants, and staying in a fancy hotel, in a city decorated festively for Christmas.  But best of all, Mom and I got to spend some precious time together, making special memories.  This trip is nothing like that one.  I'm by myself, traveling on my employer's meager budget, and concentrating on work.  Still, it's nice to be back and remember the last trip. 

Come to think of it, one of the great things about that Ireland trip was the festive Christmas decorations.  I've never been that excited about decorating for Christmas (or any holiday, for that matter), but maybe there's something to it.  Guess I'll have to get on it this year.  After Thanksgiving, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment