Monday, April 14, 2014

4/14/14. The post where I have a Big Night and then a big day.

4/14/14: whew!  The last 48 hours have gone quickly.  Sunday evening we hosted our Lenten group's season ending movie night.  The movie we selected was Big Night, set at an Italian restaurant in 1950s New Jersey.  So of course, my patient, long-suffering husband (and former professional chef) and I teamed up and spent Sunday afternoon cooking an Italian feast to accompany the movie.  Other than the main course taking a little longer to cook than anticipated, all went well and I hope no one went home hungry, in either a literal or figurative sense.  I enjoy getting together with our group each year and am always a little melancholy after the last meeting.  Which is ironic now that I think about it - there probably aren't very many people who are sad when Lent is over.    

If you've never seen Big Night, I highly recommend it.  How does it relate to Lent?  You'll have to join our group to get the answer to that burning question.  Here's a little sneak preview to whet your appetite (in both a literal and figurative sense):


I followed our big night with a big day at work.  Or at least a long day.  My employer would not like me telling you what I did today, but I can tell you this much: it included 4 hours in a car, 3 hours on a single engine plane, an hour in a helicopter, and an hour on a speed boat. You know, just a typical day at the office.  I made it home just in time for handbell practice.  A lot of loud activities in one day.  My ears may never stop ringing.

And speaking of activity, I have asked a lot of my foot in the last two days, and it has fared better than I expected.  I've managed to stay in the 6-7 range both days, which is probably better than I deserve given my activity level.  Back to the doctor tomorrow morning.  While I don't expect to have a solution, I'm at least hoping to have a new game plan. Because the current plan won't work indefinitely.  Maybe that's because it isn't really a plan.  More of a trial and error exercise, with an emphasis on error.  I have resisted making lifestyle changes in the hope that this is temporary.  Some day, I may have to confront the possibility that it is not temporary, and that will not be a very good day.  Today is not that day, though.  Nor is tomorrow.  So I will continue to have big nights and big days, because that's how I roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment