Monday, April 28, 2014

4/28/14. The post where I get a bonus PT visit.

4/28/14: woke up at about a 6 again.  I seem to be settling back into a more familiar pattern again.  This is going to sound ridiculous, but I was too busy to use my foot cream until after work today.  Applying the cream is more complicated than it sounds.  It involves a lot of hand and foot washing, in addition to a prescribed amount of time spent rubbing it in and and letting it dry.  Even without using it and taking into account my new morning PT and a decent amount of walking at work this morning, I stayed pretty steady.  I have to admit that it made me wonder if the cream was really helping, or if I just happened to start using it during a "good" period.

As I mentioned before, my insurance authorization for PT appointments runs out on Wednesday and my request for an extension was denied, so it looked like last week's appointment unexpectedly was going to be my last one.  Or at least my last affordable one.  My only available time before the authorization ran out was this afternoon and they were booked.  But this afternoon, my phone rang.  They had a last-minute cancellation and they could get me in if I could be there in 20 minutes.  When I got the call, I was at work, wearing a business suit, with no workout clothes handy.  I quickly did the math.  Ten minutes to my house (in good traffic), five minutes to change clothes, five minutes from my house to their office.  Going today rather than waiting until my authorization expires would save me $100.  "I'm on my way."

I made the world's quickest exit from work and walked in the door of the PT office 22 minutes later, ready for action.  In addition to the usual drill, he talked with me about how to keep it up on my own, gave me one last pep talk, and encouraged me to come in every now and then if I felt like I could. (I probably will go in periodically, despite the expense.  Like I said before, it's only money, right?)  He also told me I could call or email him if I needed help or had questions.  Physical Therapist-1, Insurance Company-0.

I won't be able to post tomorrow.  After work, I will make the drive back to my parents' home so I can be with Mom and Dad Wednesday morning for Mom's first chemotherapy appointment.  We are officially in uncharted territory and it will be an adventure. We've picked out some movies to watch and some recipes to make using the officially approved ingredients she was given by the nurse today.  I'll check in later this week with movie reviews and recipe critiques.  


No comments:

Post a Comment