Tuesday, April 15, 2014

4/15/14. The post where I talk about the next step.

4/15/14: you may recall me saying that stress can aggravate RSD.  Do you want to know what is stressful?  Being awakened multiple times in the middle of the night by your home alarm going off (despite the fact that it was not turned on) because of a mechanical malfunction.  And then being called by the alarm company each time it goes off to tell you that it is malfunctioning.  Just in case the screeching, high-pitched siren didn't clue you in to that fact.  

Fortunately, my patient, long-suffering husband had the presence of mind to disconnect the power supply.  Because the next step was going to involve a hammer and a bill for new alarm equipment.  As usual, my foot decided that as long as I was already awake, it might as well let me know that it was hurting. A lot. Not that it was complaining, of course. Just thought I would want to know. 

I finally managed to get back to sleep and woke up in time to drag myself to my early morning doctor appointment.  In retrospect, the haggard look on my face probably helped convey a sense of urgency to my doctor, so maybe the late night alarm episode was fortuitous.  In any event, it was clear to him that I am nearing my wit's end.  

As you know from previous posts, I have been calling this disorder RSD even though the more "modern" name is CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome).  There are two types of CRPS: type 1, which used to be called RSD and is usually the result of an injury, and type 2, which used to be called causalgia and is usually the result of nerve damage.  The vast majority of CRPS cases are type 1 and because I had a previous foot injury, my doctor started treating it like type 1, which tends to respond better to nerve blocks.

Since the nerve blocks did not work, he now suspects it may be type 2.  There is a diagnostic test called a nerve conduction study that is used often to distinguish between types 1 and 2.  (The test can also diagnose other potential nerve issues.)  Another doctor in my doctor's office performs nerve conduction studies and she agreed to come in early Thursday morning before her other appointments to perform the test so I can get results as soon as possible.  While it is not critical to get the diagnosis quickly in an medical sense, they know it is critical to me.  I don't meet with my doctor until next Wednesday (due to my scheduling conflicts, not his) to officially discuss treatment options based on the results, but he said the doctor performing the test may be able to give me a sneak preview, or at least tell me whether the test indicated anything unusual. 

I'll try not to get my hopes up for an early answer.  At this point, I don't even know what I want the result of the test to be.  While an answer would be nice, a diagnosis of type 2 CRPS is not exactly something to which I aspire.  At least we're moving forward.  I think this is the start of the next chapter in my little saga.  I wish I could flip to the last page and see how it is going to end.  Guess I'll have to read the whole book, though.  And so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment