Friday, April 25, 2014

4/25/14. The post where I narrowly avoid a meltdown.

4/25/14:  yesterday was especially busy, so no time for posting.  I had a good PT visit and did yoga on the same day, without any apparent ill effects, and got a particularly cute haircut, if I do say so myself.  I felt a little better than I had the previous few days - back in the 6 range, even down to 5.5 at times. 

As you know from my constant complaining, we've had a run of bad luck recently.  Today started off no differently.  While getting ready for work, I tried to install a new software update on my phone, causing it to completely implode. The only way to revive it was to restore it to the factory settings.  In case you are wondering, this is not a good thing.  Although it could have been worse, I spent much of the morning trying to restore apps and make my phone look like it looked before.  Without a lot of success.  

When I finally got my phone restored enough to check for voice mails, I had two messages from the PT office.  Hmm.  What could that be?  Bad news, that's what it could be.  My insurance company denied my request for additional visits. My authorization was good until April 30 and they wanted to try to get me in for one last visit so my PT could put together a home schedule for me, but my work calendar would not cooperate.  Looks like my options are to fight my insurance company or pay out of my pocket for one last visit.  It's only money, right?  (As much as I feel like the PT visits are doing me good, I have to admit my calendar has gotten out of control, even for me, and maybe a little break will do me good.  As long as I keep up with my  PT exercises.  Which I will.)

Not a good start for a Friday.  It felt a little like a final straw.  I felt that long-awaited meltdown coming on.  But I hadn't even made it into work yet.  And I had a lot of stuff to do.  Not to mention a couple of personal appointments to fit in.  I promised myself if I got through the day, I could have a meltdown tonight.  And all weekend, if necessary. 

So I went to work and got my stuff done.  And went to my personal appointments.  And realized that not everything was going badly.  I got a lovely manicure and pedicure. (Fingers - "I Eat Mainely Lobster". Toes - "Can't Find My Czechbook". Yeah, I know, the names don't give you much clue about the color, but they sure are fun.)  I had a really nice coffee break in the afternoon with my dear doctor friend, who has an uncanny ability to reach out when I hit treatment crossroads and need to talk.  He also told me some things I needed to hear about "rightsizing" my treatment expectations.  Things I probably already knew deep down inside, but needed to hear out loud from someone I trust. 

Another good thing about today?  I came home to a cool house for the first time in several weeks.  My patient, long-suffering husband shepherded the installation of the new AC unit, as well as other related upgrades that were required to meet new city codes because we were getting a new AC unit.  (Don't get me started...) I rewarded him for his hard work by making tuna melts for dinner.  Because I'm fancy that way.  In case you are wondering, Chablis is the perfect wine pairing for tuna melts.  

By the end of the evening, I realized I didn't need a meltdown after all.  I just needed to keep on truckin' and remember all the good things.  Like the fact that my day did not include doing this:



No comments:

Post a Comment