Friday, February 14, 2014

2/14/14. The post where I admit I like Valentine's Day.

2/14/14: a couple of pretty good days in a row.  Haven't been over a 6.5 since Thursday morning and I even thought I detected a 5.5 this morning when I woke up.  Last night, after several days with way too little sleep, I went to bed early and fell straight to sleep.  As a result, I looked significantly less like a zombie today.  In fact, with my freshly done hair and nails, I looked almost like myself.  (As I've told several friends, the new me looks a lot like the old me, but three inches shorter.) Just in time for Valentine's Day.  Coincidence, I assure you, but a happy coincidence.

And here's where I brag on my patient, long-suffering husband.  I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me when I got to the office today.  A pretty metal tub for chilling wine, filled literally to the point of overflowing with a thoughtfully considered assortment of my very favorite office snacks, which he had one of my co-workers sneak into my office before I got to work.  Best gift ever.

How did I reciprocate? By going to the liquor store and buying a few items that were already on the shopping list, removing my gift snacks from the tub, replacing them with the newly purchased items, and (poorly) re-taping the plastic wrap.  Worst gift ever.  At least I get credit for recycling, right?  Then I came home to chilled champagne and a home-cooked meal, which officially erased my recycling credit.  I tell this story in case any of you were wondering why I refer to him as my patient, long-suffering husband.

The whole day was actually quite lovely.  Between the breakfast tacos, cookies, and Valentine-themed gifts showered on me by co-workers, it felt more like my birthday than Valentine's Day.  And did I mention I have new hair and nails?  I did nothing to deserve any of it, nor did I reciprocate in any meaningful way.  I'm not proud of that, but I certainly feel fortunate.  And loved.  I promise to do better next year.  6.5 feels pretty awesome on a day like today.  And now I'm staring at a warm, sunny three-day weekend.  Bring it on, RSD.  



No comments:

Post a Comment