Saturday, February 8, 2014

2/7/14. The post where I tell you about the best snow day ever.

2/7/14: I found out the previous night that our employer had delayed work until noon, and my PT appointment was not until 12:30, so I was able to stay in my warm bed under the covers for awhile in the morning.  Pain was still at about a 9 all morning, but I made plans to go to PT and then to work in the afternoon.

Then, late morning, in what must have been Divine intervention, I got an email saying the office would be closed the entire day.  Despite the fact that there had been zero precipitation near my home all day.  A single icicle hanging from the eave of the home across the street was the only clue that there were possible icy conditions.  My heart soared.  I've never been so happy to have a snow day.  Could I have taken the afternoon off or worked from home without a snow day? Sure.  But it would have felt like giving in.  This was a free mental health day exactly when I needed it.  And I didn't have to endure the ice storm that should have come with it.

I went to my PT appointment and worked on more upper body and core strengthening exercises.  I had a few false starts on exercises that aggravated my foot, but otherwise all went well.  If nothing else, at least I am getting toned up for spring.  Next week I will be starting mirror therapy, which deserves its own post, so I'll tell you about it in more detail later.

I spent my free afternoon with my patient, long-suffering husband, making homemade pizzas and snacks for the Olympic opening ceremonies.  We had some friends over, friends who have shared the Olympics with me since the 1996 Atlanta games, and for a few hours things felt nearly normal again.  The pain was there, as always, but it stayed very politely in the background and let me enjoy myself for awhile.  It was down to a 7 when I went to bed.

I can't always count on an unexpected ice day.  But I'll always appreciate this one.  


No comments:

Post a Comment