Saturday, February 22, 2014

2/21/14. The post where I don't have to swear off sushi.

2/21/14: the ill-conceived post-procedure sushi dinner didn't kill me.  Slept poorly, as usual these days, but was a little less nauseous than after the last procedure.  Don't know if the sushi helped, but it didn't hurt.  

No relief in the first day after the nerve block.  Stayed in the 7-7.5 range all day, with a few small spikes.  This time, I had a little more pain and soreness at the injection site, but nothing unmanageable.  Was still a little woozy from the sedative, but managed to get everything put together for the concert and it all went off without a hitch.  My hosting skills may not have been up to my usual standards, but I don't think anyone noticed.  So far, I am two-for-two in poor scheduling of nerve blocks.  I will try to be more careful for the next one, if there is a next one.

I am going to give it another day before declaring the second nerve block a bust, but I'm not feeling confident at this point that it is going to work any better than the first one.  I have a follow up doctor visit in two weeks where we will determine next steps.  Not sure how many more of these I have in me, without some evidence that they will give me some (even temporary) relief.  I have read a lot about nerve blocks on the World Wide Web, and some people finally get relief after having multiple injections.  I even read something about a woman who finally had success after #13.  I won't be having 13.  At the very beginning, my doctor said he didn't recommend more than four to six.  Right now, I'm not sure I recommend more than two.

I have a quiet weekend planned, and I am still holding out hope for some relief.  Next week will be a test of my mental and physical resolve - due to a scheduling snafu on my part, I do not have any PT appointments.  But I do have a mirror, and I know all the other exercises by heart, so I will be able to keep up, as long as I convince myself to do so.  I can already tell it is going to be a long week.  

But now is not the time to think about that.  It's the beginning of a weekend, the weather is forecast to be beautiful, and I have nothing on the calendar but fun.  I wish the same for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment