Tuesday, February 4, 2014

2/4/14. The post where I have my first nerve block.

2/4/14: woke up feeling pretty good. Stayed at a 6 all morning.  I appreciate the effort, nerves, but you're still getting blocked.

Since I couldn't eat after 9:30am, I picked up a couple of breakfast tacos on the way to work in lieu of my usual sensible, nutritious protein shake.  Any day that starts with breakfast tacos is a good day.  They didn't stay with me for as long as I'd hoped and by the time I left work to go to my appointment, I was pretty hungry.

Do you want to know what is a bad idea? Stopping by the local gourmet grocery store to pick up something on the way to a medical procedure for which you have been fasting six hours.  They had their free samples out in full force and everything looked delicious.  I thought back to the book I had just read about Louis Zamperini and realized that if I were on a life raft, I would be the one who went crazy in the first twelve hours and ate and drank all the supplies.  (Note to all of you reading: try never to end up on a life raft with me.)

Got to my appointment and all went smoothly.  The nurse did an expert job on my IV, which is not always easy because I have very small veins.  The procedure was fairly quick and I felt like I was at least somewhat alert for all of it.  I remember having a fairly lengthy conversation with the assisting nurses about Netflix, although I'm not sure how substantive my contribution was.  I also remember the doctor telling me several times that I was doing great.  And by "great", I presume he meant that I didn't bite him or curse (which I have a reputation within the medical community for doing).

Afterward, they took me into a recovery room in a wheelchair and let me rest for a bit before calling in my patient, long-suffering husband to take me home.  While I don't exactly recall what happened during that time, the rumor is that I made the nurse giggle by greeting my patient, long-suffering husband with a loud, "Hey! I love you!" and a big smooch on the lips.  He may wish I could be sedated more often.

He got me home and safely into bed, where I crashed for several hours.  I woke up still groggy, but feeling like the sedative was wearing off.  I also found my sunglasses on my bedside table, which I had apparently worn to bed.  I can only imagine how glamorous I must have looked.

I had a little dinner and drank about a gallon of water, then watched a movie (sort of).  Still a little groggy, but functional. At least that's what I think. I'll let you be the judge of that after reading this post.

Was the nerve block a magic bullet? No. Pain is about a 7 tonight and the bottom of my toe is black again.  My post-procedure instructions said the pain could increase for 1-2 days afterward. Great.  It will be a few days before I know if it helped.  In the meantime, I will take it easy tomorrow and hope I am back in business by Thursday, because I have a very busy day planned. (Live as normally as possible, right?) Just remembered again that I had breakfast tacos this morning.  Today was a good day.

To all of you who have sent prayers, well wishes and good vibes, I have one thing to say.  Hey! I love you! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment