Friday, February 28, 2014

2/28/14. The post where I defy all the odds and have a good day.

2/28/14: another rough night with way too little sleep, and I was sure it was going to be a bad day.  (Spoiler alert - I was wrong.) I started the day in the 7.5-8 range, but by the time I left for work it was down to a 6.5.  

After getting ready, I dressed for casual Friday at work and looked for a pair of shoes to wear.  My shoe collection has elevated me to near-celebrity status among other shoe aficionados, so the last eight months have been a real bummer when it comes to shoes.  As I looked for something I could tolerate wearing, I spied a box on the very top shelf of my closet.  Could it be?

Flashback to about seven years ago.  I bought a pair of suede boots on sale, but by the time I got home with them, I already didn't like them.  The heel was too flat and the toe was too round.  I should have returned them, but I didn't.  I should have worn them, but I didn't.  I should have gotten rid of them during one of the three moves I've made since buying them, but I didn't.

And this morning, there they were, smiling at me from the top shelf.  (At least it looked to me like they were smiling.)  The heel height was just low enough and the toe was just round enough that I could wear them relatively comfortably.  And when I slipped them on, I realized they were actually quite cute.  Either my taste has changed in the last seven years or I was so happy to have a new pair of shoes to wear that I convinced myself I liked them.  I'll let you be the judge.



The day continued to get better. A wonderful co-worker brought me breakfast tacos to thank me for helping her on a project.  I had a manicure and pedicure at lunch ("Schnapps Out of It" from the OPI Germany collection) and my ever-resourceful manicurist, who reads my blog and knows I had trouble after the last few pedicures, had found a new lotion that did not irritate my foot.  Woo-hoo!

I had a nice, calm day at work after a stressful week, which ended with some very positive recognition by my employer.  I got some good news about an upcoming family vacation. My patient, long-suffering husband and I enjoyed the beautiful weather by having a lovely, quiet dinner on the deck of a local restaurant.  Maybe I was delirious from lack of sleep, but other than that pesky pain, everything just felt right.

All in all, a great day.  Still holding steady at a 6.5.  I don't have anywhere to be tomorrow morning, so even if I have to sleep in shifts, maybe I can catch up.  TGIF, indeed.

1 comment: