Wednesday, December 17, 2014

12/17/14. The post where I become a rebel.

12/17/14: the rain and cold came back today, so I rode the trainer again this morning.  I have slowly been adding my strength exercises back to my morning routine, and this week I finally got brave enough to start doing stomach crunches again.  Pre-surgery, I could do 70, so I thought I'd just get started and do as many as I could before I started to feel it.  Monday morning, I got up to 40 and was pretty impressed with myself.  Forty felt fine on Tuesday, too. But this morning?  Ouch!  I did all 40, but I was sore all day.  Not sure what's up with the delayed reaction, but I guess I'd better keep at it.  A few more months and I might be able to zip my pants and breathe at the same time again.  Right now that's an "either/or" proposition.

As I mentioned, we put up our Christmas lights over the weekend.  This morning, we (along with everyone else in our small neighborhood), got an email from the manager of our homeowner's association "reminding" everyone that our bylaws don't allow holiday decorations on the outside of our homes, other than around the door.  Whaaaaaaat?  We have lived here almost five years, and this is the first we've heard of this.  And at least a third of our neighbors also have outdoor lights.  I am a rule follower by nature, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.  We are surrounded by neighborhoods with more expensive homes that are brightly decorated and we do not live in historic homes, so I don't get it.  I asked for clarification and haven't gotten a response, so guess what?  Our lights are still shining brightly tonight.  

After work today, I had an appointment to have my hair cut and highlighted.  My stylist asked what I wanted to do, like she has done every month for nearly 15 years.  Today, though, I remembered my acting class last night, where they suggested you should change your "look" about once a year.  How long has it been since I've changed my look? Nearly 15 years.  So my response to her was, "Oh, do something crazy for the holidays."  And she did.  The cut is the same, but the color? Well, it's a little different.  Actually, a lot different.  Still generally a hair color found in nature, but nothing that has ever been seen on my head, and I love it. The real kicker was when another patron asked if my hair was always that color and another stylist said, "Oh no, she usually looks very conservative."  Guess it was time for a new look.  And the best part?  It matches my new car.

She finished up just in time for me to race to choir rehearsal.  No time to warn my patient, long-suffering husband that he might not recognize me.  I walked into the room and there was a collective gasp from my fellow choir members.  No blending into the wall tonight!  During the break, I was surrounded by admirers complimenting me on the change.  My patient, long-suffering husband?  He's still getting used to it, but I think he likes it.  Because now he has options for new nicknames for me.  (So far, he seems to be torn between "Red" and "Santa's Little Helper.")  

With the weather change, my foot was pretty irritated again today, so it was nice to have some distractions.  And now that I'm a rebel, everyone had better watch out.  The next thing you know, I'll be wearing white linen pants in winter and not using my turn signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment