Sunday, December 28, 2014

12/29/14. The post where I am not very smart.

12/29/14: one more day at the resort before leaving tomorrow to visit family.  My patient, long-suffering husband started the morning with a massage.  I'm still not quite mentally ready to try a massage.  Besides the fact that the masseuse would have to work around the stimulator, it seems to me that I would either need to turn it off (not a pleasant thought) or risk getting "zingers" periodically (not a pleasant thought for me or the masseuse).  So instead, I went to the fitness center and rode an exercise bike.

Next, we got our geek on at a university-run facility that simulates different habitats and climates.  Such as a rain forest.  Which is extremely humid, by the way.  I really enjoyed the tour, but about halfway through it I started to feel some serious pain.  When we got back to the car, I turned the stimulator up even higher, which helped, but it is now back up to "panic mode" again.  I hope not to have any additional issues, because I am running out of maneuvering room.

We stopped for a late lunch on the way to our next destination.  We had spent the last few days reading up on the best places to get local cuisine, but we never managed to make any of them work.  Everything seemed to be on the wrong side of town or closed for the holidays.  So we tried a different approach instead, stopping by a random place that was on our route and happened to be open.  As it turns out, that was a pretty good approach.  It was a small, family-run restaurant - nothing fancy, but the food was delicious.  I ordered one of the local specialties and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I didn't even mind when, about half-way through, I discovered it contained pork.  As some of you are aware, I eat a generally vegetarian diet, supplemented with fish periodically.  This is for health reasons, not moral or religious reasons, and it's a good thing, or it would have been a much worse discovery.  While I probably should have asked more questions before ordering, I'm glad I didn't, because I would have missed out on a really good meal if I had.  I skipped dinner to make up for it, which was no big loss, because I was stuffed the rest of the day.

Our final destination for the day was a scenic tram ride through a canyon and forest.  The weather had been beautiful all day, so we chose seats on the uncovered car.  Knowing that the weather was likely to be cold on this trip, I packed three coats, four pairs of gloves, three ear warmers, and more scarves than I can currently recall.  And I bought two more pairs of gloves and another ear warmer on our shopping excursion yesterday.  (I can't resist a good sale.)  Guess how many of those things I brought on the tram?  If you guessed "zero", get yourself a cookie.  And of course, about the time the tram started, the sun went behind the clouds and the wind picked up.  By the time we returned to the car, I was an icicle.

After a long, hot bath, I managed to warm up again.  I did plenty of dumb things today, but still had an excellent time.  I'll try to be a little smarter tomorrow, but I'm not making any promises.  

No comments:

Post a Comment