Sunday, December 7, 2014

12/7/14. The post where I survive the weekend.

12/7/14: when last we spoke, I was trying to figure out how I could make my friend's brunch party on this crazy festival weekend.  Well, I made it.  I woke up Saturday morning thinking with my heart instead of my head, which everyone should do, at least sometimes.  Forty-five minutes before the party, I had no gift and a 25 minute drive.  I steeled myself for a very unpleasant driving and shopping experience.  Fortunately, the stars aligned and the store I chose was not crowded, so I was able to get in and out without a major catastrophe.

As I expected, it was a wonderful party filled with people I love and I'm glad I went.  For the last week, I've tried to concentrate on one thing at a time, so I waited until I left the party to start thinking about the post-concert gathering I was hosting that night, and the fact that I had no plan.  By the time I drove to the grocery store, I had at least a vague notion.  I spent the afternoon cooking and getting the house ready for a shindig, then spent the evening manning the box office and enjoying the concert. The gathering went off without a hitch, due mostly to the fact that our visitors have very low expectations.

The evening went very late, which is maybe not the best idea the night before I have to perform.  But as you know, good judgment is not always my strong suit.  I ended the night by making some last-minute alterations to my husband's concert clothing at 1am after post-party cleanup, So in case you are wondering...yes, being married to a musician is just as glamorous as you would imagine.

Today was a blur. I spent nearly the entire day at church, selling advance tickets, singing in the service, and setting up the box office for the concert. Not to mention the dress rehearsal and, oh yeah, the concert itself.  A few minutes of rest after the concert to bask in the afterglow, then it was time to shut down the box office and finish the associated administrative work before going to the post-concert party, an awesome affair hosted by our closest friends. Just posting about the day makes me tired all over again.

I don't know how many of you get a first-hand opportunity to see your significant other excel at work, but I do.  This weekend my patient, long-suffering husband programmed amazing repertoires for two different concerts, played beautifully last night (so beautifully it made audience members weep - no lie), and conducted a 20-piece orchestra and 25-person choir tonight.  Not bad for a guy who slept in a chair for four hours last night because he is still having coughing fits. Even if I weren't crazy in love with him, I would be awed by his talent and dedication to his craft.

My foot didn't feel great this weekend, but I was busy enough to ignore it much of the time.  Tonight I finally took a few minutes to change my stimulator program, which helped quite a bit.  There's no rest for the weary, though. Tomorrow it's back to the grind.  Thank goodness it will be a more quiet week.  Except for handbell rehearsal. And acting lessons.  And choir practice.  And a concert (as spectators, not participants).  And a birthday party.  And a holiday get together.  Guess I'd better get to bed.  Sounds like I am going to need some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment