Sunday, December 28, 2014

12/28/14. The post where it's a dry cold.

12/28/14: went to bed early Friday night, so I got a good night's sleep, even though I woke up too early on Saturday.  We both woke up refreshed and ready to see the sights, so we got an early start.  First we did a little shopping for an item my patient, long-suffering husband forgot to pack, then we were off to a botanical garden/zoo/outdoor museum.  Along with every other person in the tri-county area.  I think this was the day everyone woke up and said, "My family is still visiting - what am I going to do with them???"  

While it was very cold, it was a beautiful, sunny day with almost no humidity. Perfect for our outing.  I was a little concerned about how my foot was going to react to being out all day in the cold, but it did pretty well.  I was smart enough to leave the stimulator setting high this time. You know how people say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" when talking about discomfort?  (At least, they say that in the humid area where I live.)  I'm beginning to think with my foot, "It's not the cold, it's the humidity."

Our afternoon would have been perfect, had it not been for the crowds. And for one family in particular.  The family of a kid I'll call "Logan".  Because apparently that is his name.  I know because of the number of times I heard his dad say it.  Logan's favorite activity was to run ahead of his dad, who was behind us, pushing me violently out of his way as he did so.  Then when his dad called his name, he would run back, pushing me again, only to start the activity over again.  After about three circles, I began looking Logan in the eye and saying, "Excuse me!" in my most authoritative adult voice and then turning around to look pointedly at his dad.  His dad, however, could not be bothered to respond or take charge of Logan because he was busy talking on his walkie-talkie to ask Logan's mom for her "10-20" like they were extras from the movie "Convoy".  I was beginning to envision a scenario where a video of me shrieking at Logan and his family goes viral and I become an Internet pariah, so we decided to duck out and join a different throng of people.

I spend a lot of time around well-behaved kids.  And that is because I spend a lot of time around well-behaved adults who teach their children by word and example to behave in a similar fashion.  It's rare for me to be in situations where I encounter people like Logan's family, and it makes me appreciate my family and friends with kids even more.  Keep up the good work, y'all.

We enjoyed a quiet evening back at the resort and I collapsed into bed early for another good night's sleep.  I think I am back in the sleeping groove again.  More tourist destinations and walking today.  I just hope Logan's family has different plans.  But if you see a YouTube video of me ranting like a deranged lunatic, just remember that Logan started it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment