Tuesday, March 10, 2015

3/10/15. The post where I don't have a concussion.

3/10/15: it was a late night and my headache continued to get worse, but once I got to bed, I slept well.  When my alarm went off this morning, I stayed in bed for a moment to see how I felt.  Not too bad.  Then I got up.  Not too good.  After a few minutes of standing, I decided staying in bed was a better choice.  I picked up my work cell phone to send a note saying I was going to make a doctor appointment and wouldn't be in, but first I thought I'd check my calendar in case I needed to reschedule anything.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iGLh9hRmRcM. In all the confusion yesterday, I had forgotten that today was the first of two full days of interviews for an assistant.  I had applicants coming in from other states to interview and it's a vacancy I'm desperate to fill.  No rescheduling this.  So I got up again.

I made it through the interviews, but my head and my jaw continued to get progressively more sore throughout the day.  The entire right side of my face and head hurt.  (Cue my brothers saying, "Does your face hurt? 'Cause it's killing me.")  During a break in interviews I made an appointment at the after hours clinic at my doctor's office.  By the end of the day I was feeling a little loopy and was growing concerned I might have done something a little more serious than I originally thought.

As I sat in the waiting room at the after hours clinic listening to sneezing, hacking, coughing, and various other types of sounds you hear in the waiting room at an after hours clinic, I started to regret my decision.  Now I was going to have a head injury and tuberculosis.  I was glad when the nurse finally called me back to the exam room.

After some poking, prodding, and motor tests, the doctor determined I did not have a concussion, neurological damage, or any broken bones.  She said it was all muscle and soft tissue-related.  She prescribed ibuprofen, ice, and a few days' rest.  She warned me it would likely feel even worse tomorrow and I would be "goofy" for awhile.  (I did not realize that was a medical term.)   She also said no alcohol for a week.  An actual quote: "You think you feel goofy now? Alcohol will make it ten times worse."  It's going to be a long week.

I had to miss acting class, which I hated to do, because we were filming our scenes tonight.  I won't be doing much talking for the next few days until my jaw heals.  Which makes everyone around me happy, I suspect.  My stimulator does not appear to have been affected at all and is vibrating away.  In another bit of good news, the rain has moved out and my foot is feeling better.  Now it's time to take my goofy self to bed and get some rest.  Just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment