Tuesday, July 15, 2014

7/15/14. The post where I try to be Alberto Contador.

7/15/14:  by bedtime last night, my foot was back up to an 8.  I decided to try the cream again at the maximum dose, and it took the edge off enough for me to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep - hallelujah!  

When my alarm went off this morning, I wanted to turn it off and go back to sleep.  But I've been watching the Tour de France.  Last night, Alberto Contador, a previous tour winner and a favorite to win this year, had a freak accident.  Although he was injured and his bike was ruined, the doctors patched him up by the side of the road so he could get another bike and ride like a demon to try to catch up with the peloton.  Eventually it was clear he was too injured to finish and he had to abandon the race.  When they took him to the hospital for x-rays, they discovered he had a broken leg.  If Contador could ride with a broken leg, I could get out of bed and try to walk.

I started my walk and it seemed to be going okay.  In fact, I was able to find a comfortable gait and pick up the pace a little.  Suddenly, something hit my arm.  Was I dive-bombed by a bird? Then something else hit my arm.  Water.  It was raining, which was completely unexpected.  Luckily, I was near the house so I could give up and go home.  Then I remembered Contador.  If he could ride with a broken leg, I could walk in the rain.  So I picked up a baseball cap at home and finished my walk.

I got home with a little time to spare, so I decided to get on the trainer for awhile.  After a few minutes, I felt a shock wave of pain through my foot.  Hey, if Contador could ride with a broken leg, I could ride through this.  Then came shock wave #2.  No big deal, I can shake it off.  Then came shock wave #3...and I'm done.  Frankly, it wasn't that smart of Contador to ride with a broken leg.  And even he eventually figured out it was time to abandon the race.  It's important to know when to quit.  (Spoiler alert - the following clip contains comedic fake spurting blood): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

The day went surprisingly well and by the afternoon I was at a 6.5.  I stopped by a friend's new house on the way home from work for a tour, drinks, and great conversation.  Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight.  And wishing Contador a good night's sleep, too.  I imagine racing on a bike with a broken leg can wear you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment