Thursday, July 17, 2014

7/17/14. The post where I start a new chapter.

7/17/14: had a little trouble sleeping last night, partially because my foot was at an 8 and partially in anticipation of my procedure later today.  I woke up this morning at closer to a 6.5 and did my slow walk, which went okay.  I had a continuing education class today away from the office, so it was already going to be an unusual day.

I was not supposed to eat anything after noon or drink anything after 4pm.  I knew meals and refreshments were being provided at my class and I was hoping for breakfast tacos, but alas, it was pastries for breakfast.  My last chance for food was lunch, which was typical conference fare - bland, overcooked lasagna, wilted salad, and breadsticks that appeared to have been salvaged from a dumpster behind Olive Garden.  I ate as much of it as I could tolerate, knowing I would be really hungry before my next meal opportunity.

After class, my patient, long-suffering husband took me to the doctor's office for the procedure.  For what seemed like a fairly simple procedure, they had quite a team assembled - my doctor, three nurses, and two representatives from the medical company that supplies the device.  The device reps did a great job of explaining the procedure to us and gave my patient, long-suffering husband some reading materials so he could read up on the device during the procedure.  It was a pretty short affair and I was awake, though slightly foggy, for the entire thing.  To be honest, it was not too bad and I spent much of it cutting up with the staff, as is my tendency.  I even convinced one of them to go out and get my phone so he could take a few pictures, since I would not be able to see what it looked like.

The doctor inserted two lead wires into the epidural space of my spine - one just above what I will indelicately call my "plumber's crack" and one several inches higher in my lower back.  Then the device rep attached the device to the wires and turned it on, increasing the intensity until I could feel it buzzing and then asking me where I felt it.  Using this method, they were able to reposition the lead wires as necessary until they were stimulating the areas where I have pain.  Once the wires were in place, they taped up my entire back to ensure it was sterile and then wheeled me into the recovery room to meet up with my patient, long-suffering husband, who by now was an expert on the device.

The device reps then set multiple programs on the stimulator so that I had plenty of options for pain relief and showed us how to use the device.  The rep who is permanently assigned to me said she would call me every day during the trial to check my progress and see if I needed assistance.  The goal for the week was to reduce my pain by 50% - for instance, from an 8 to a 4.  If that happens, the trial is considered a success and they can schedule a permanent implant.

There are a lot of restrictions for the next week.  Because the lead wires can easily move around, I have to limit bending, stretching, twisting, and lifting.  And because there is now an open conduit from the outside of my body into the epidural fluid in my spine, I have to be extremely careful about infection.  I will be taking an industrial strength antibiotic, I can't remove the dressing, and most importantly, no showers.  Yep, no showers.  I guess the water leak experience from earlier this week was a little preview of things to come.  Forget what I said about not going to work without showering.  At least I can wash my hair and give myself a careful sponge bath if I stay away from the dressing, so you needn't be too frightened about running into me.

I was famished when we got home, so my patient, long-suffering husband made me some delicious spaghetti.  Because he's awesome that way.  Made up for the unpleasant lunch experience.  So far, the experience has been strange and fascinating.  And while it is way too early to say for certain, so far it seems to be working.  My foot is completely confused and while I have some weird sensations, they seem to be doing a great job of masking the pain.  The insertion points of the lead wires are already really sore and they warned me it will be worse tomorrow.  I feel fairly certain I can tough it out, though.  These days I feel fairly certain I can tough just about anything out.  

Here are a few photos of the procedure for those who aren't too squeamish to look.  (Nothing too gory, I promise - other than my plumber's crack.)  Enjoy...









1 comment:

  1. Imagine if you were as tan as the betadine area! A bit on the orange side (and streaky), but still!

    ReplyDelete