Wednesday, July 2, 2014

7/2/14. The post where we breathe a sigh of relief.

7/3/14: woke up just 10 minutes before the alarm.  Progress!  I tried to take our guest dog for a walk, but he was just too sleepy, so I brought him back inside to snuggle with my patient, long-suffering husband.  Instead, I took myself for a walk and then rode the trainer for 10 minutes.  My foot felt pretty good, maybe a 4. 

While I would have been happy to continue ignoring the issue with the upstairs AC, cooler heads prevailed (Get it? Cooler heads? I crack myself up.)  My patient, long-suffering husband called our AC company out of concern it would completely quit working over the holiday weekend, which would be either outrageously expensive or miserably uncomfortable, neither of which sounded like a good option.  

After a thorough inspection, they determined that - hallelujah! - it was just a little low on freon.  Not low enough to be an issue most of the time, but just enough to make it hard to cool back down in the hot summer after three weeks of little use.  And the best news? They told us it was covered under our service plan.  We were a little skeptical at first.  After all, the wine cellar chilling unit was under warranty, but it still cost several hundred dollars in shipping and expediting delivery to ensure our wine was still drinkable by the time the replacement came.  But the AC company really meant it - the total cost of the visit was zero (unless you count what we paid previously for the service plan, I guess).  I can afford zero.

We only have one more day with our guest dog.  While he seems to have grown quite fond of us, he still misses his "real" parents.  They live on the same street we do, so we pass their house on our walks and he always heads right toward their front door.  You can't really blame him.  If I moved to another house on the same block, I might go to the wrong door a time or two myself.  However, if someone pointed out my error to me, I don't think I would fling myself onto the ground and refuse to move until someone carried me to my new house.  Good thing he's a little guy.

My spinal cord stimulator trial is two weeks away, so I am starting to do more research on it.  I found out that the specific brand of device my doctor uses is made by a company for which one of my oldest friends is a representative, so I contacted him to get his thoughts on it.  He gave me some good information and some questions to ask my doctor.  I've already gotten some good advice about it from other friends and everything I've read indicates it's the right thing to do, but it was nice to get another confirmation.  

We had a great dinner out with our choir friends tonight.  After about a month without rehearsals, we all missed each other and were ready to catch up.  My foot has been a little angrier this evening, but still no more than a 6.  One more day of work and then a three-day holiday weekend.  Thank goodness.  Living back in the real world is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment