Saturday, July 26, 2014

7/26/14. The post where I make a cake.

7/26/14: slept fairly well last night, but immediately upon waking up, my foot reminded me that the stimulator was gone, much to its (and my) chagrin.  Since it was a Saturday morning, I was able to get moving at a slower pace, which made it easier.

I spent the late morning and early afternoon making a cake for a celebration of my mother-by-love's birthday.  I used a new recipe, which is always a bad idea when you are making something for an event.  All went well until the "making of the frosting" portion of the day.  In my defense, there was clearly something wrong with the recipe, but it took me an extra hour and my most clever baking tricks to turn it into something that could actually be spread on a cake and consumed by humans.  Eventually, I made it work and it tasted good.  My decoration skills still leave something to be desired and at my age I'm afraid I can't hope for very much improvement.  However, my mom (ever the optimist) promised to give me a refresher tutorial the next time I visit. 

After the making of the cake was done, it was time for the buying of the gift.  Unfortunately, my foot would have preferred that it be time for the resting of the self on the couch.  It was red, swollen, and generally unhappy during the entire shopping experience.  I tried to take a few quiet photos of my foot for my doctor, but I was caught by another shopper who is probably blogging right now about the weird girl with the foot selfie fetish he saw at the antique mall.  

After the purchase of an appropriate gift, it was home for a quick change and then out to dinner.  We had a fantastic dinner at a nice seafood restaurant in town and my foot felt much better than it had all day.  (In the interest of full disclosure, it is possible the recovery may have been aided by wine.)   After a lovely dinner, we came back to our home for cake, coffee, and opening of gifts. It was a very fun evening and I made it through quite well.  One more day down.  I can get through this.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling the stimulator is not going to help improve my cake decorating skills.





No comments:

Post a Comment