Monday, July 28, 2014

7/28/14. The post where I have good news and bad news.

7/28/14: got up this morning and decided to try my first post-stimulator walk.  I kept up the quick pace I established last week, because...well, I'm not quite sure why.  I just got accustomed to it last week, I guess.  And I see a light at the end of the tunnel, so I'm a little more brave (or stupid).  Yes, it hurt, but I slowed down the pace a few times and that didn't feel any better, so I decided to go for it.  I went to work and felt okay for most of the day, in the 4-5 range.

The good news? They scheduled my surgery today!  September 5.  While I wish it could be even earlier, it was the first available time.  I'm certainly not looking forward to the procedure itself or the recovery, but I am definitely looking forward to the result.  The sooner I start the process, the sooner I reap the reward.

The bad news?  I hit a 9 tonight for the first time in a long time.  Not sure what happened, but things went quickly downhill soon after I got home from work and for a brief time I thought my big toe might spontaneously explode or burst into flame.  (Now I understand why they require a psychiatric evaluation before implanting the stimulator.)  I had to use the magic cream, which didn't seem quite as magical as it has previously.  I'm suddenly reminded of what my PT said months ago.  I won't know if I've overdone it during or immediately after an activity - the real indicator is how I feel later.  Which is terrible in this case.  Normally I don't post photos of my foot unless it is to show my shoes, but I decided to make an exception today, because I'm hoping it won't look like this very many more times in the next month. 

Okay, early to bed tonight and I'll slow it down tomorrow.  Or maybe I won't.  After all, I just have to make it to September 5.  


No comments:

Post a Comment