Wednesday, July 16, 2014

7/16/14. The post where there is no water.

7/16/14: last night, shortly before going to bed, we received an email from the president of our homeowners association with a subject line in all caps: EMERGENCY.  Uh oh, that doesn't sound like good news.  Turns out there was a massive water leak in a home near ours and the shut-off valve to their home broke when the plumber tried to shut it off.  This meant that the water to our entire block had to be shut off.  The email warned that it might be off all night.

Great.  Wish I had filled up my water glass earlier.  Or at least gone to the restroom.  I used the tiny bit of water left in my glass to take my medicine and went to bed, where I had my first good night of sleep in multiple days.  When my alarm went off this morning, I walked into the bathroom to get ready for work and turned on the sink faucet.  Nothing.  Apparently it was still not fixed.  Ironically, it was pouring rain and for a moment I considered taking a glass outside so I could get a drink.  Instead, I decided to get back in bed for a bit.  I wasn't going to be a hero today and try to work out in the storm, so I could get a little more sleep.

I checked the water every 15 minutes or so, with no luck.  Eventually we got another email saying the water would be back on a little later in the morning, so I told my employer I'd be in late.  I did as much as I could to get ready without the benefit of water (which, as I learned, is not much) and waited for it to come back on.  And waited.  And waited.  Around 11am we got another email saying the water leak was more serious than expected (not just to one house) and would take much of the afternoon to fix.  

At that point, I had a decision to make.  I could stay home all day, try to find an alternative place to shower, or go to work European-style.  In the interest of time, I used a jug of distilled water to wash my face and brush my teeth, slapped on some deodorant and makeup, and drove to the office.  Fortunately, I didn't have any meetings scheduled, so only my co-workers had to witness my condition.    There have been plenty of times during my 20 years with my employer where I have spent so many hours at work that I needed a second shower.  But this was the first time I'd ever gone to work without a first shower.  No one seemed to mind. Or even notice.  Not that I intend to try it again.  I didn't spend that much time in Europe.

The water finally came back on, in time for me to go home for the day.   My foot was slightly better today, but it's still hanging out in the 6.5-7 range.  I had a quiet evening and did a few last minute chores so I am ready for the stimulator trial tomorrow.  The procedure is late in the day, but I hope to be able to give everyone an update in the evening.  I'd appreciate good thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment