Tuesday, July 22, 2014

7/22/14. The post where I try an experiment.

7/22/14: up early this morning to get my patient, long-suffering husband out the door so he could make his flight.  I took my walk and was able to pick up some speed.  It's hard to call a 15 minute mile "speedy", but considering that earlier this year my PT had me walking a 60 minute mile on a treadmill, it feels pretty fast.  

It is a little frustrating that my lower back is still so sore from the insertions.  I guess having a wire shoved into your tailbone is a little more serious than I expected.  (Oh, I'm sorry.  Did I say "shoved?"  I meant "carefully placed with skill and precision.")  I won't miss the wires when they are removed on Thursday, but I will miss the stimulator.  A lot.  I hope it doesn't take too long to schedule the permanent procedure.

My doctor told me to try some activities this week that I've had difficulty doing (while being careful not to disturb the wires, of course) to see if having the stimulator helps.  Do you know what activity I've had difficulty doing?  Wearing most of my shoes.  So I decided to go for it.  I jettisoned the prescription shoes for a pair of espadrilles with a medium height heel and went to work.

It was a successful experiment.  I was able to wear them all day at work with no additional pain and the stimulator did its job.  It went well enough that I intend to try it again tomorrow, my last full day with the trial version.  I'm two for two with activities since I started the trial.  Maybe tomorrow I should try a few additional activities I've had difficulty doing.  Like winning the lottery.


No comments:

Post a Comment