Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11/14. The post where I am reminded how lucky I am.

9/11/14: slept a little better last night and got up "early" this morning for my post-op appointment.  I got a passing grade - my incisions looked good and my medical device rep turned up the maximum volume on my device so I could increase my coverage if necessary.  I am still amazed by modern technology.  I have a battery under my skin that makes my foot feel better.  I barely understand how it works, but it works, and that is all I need to know.  Several times in the last few days my foot has swollen up and turned red because of heat, overuse, or who knows what, which reminds me that the  stimulator is not a cure.  But it doesn't have to be a cure as long as it makes me feel better.

A good friend came to visit me this afternoon.  She brought me vegetarian curry - yum! - and came over with her sewing project to hang out for awhile.  We had a very nice, casual time while we worked on our separate projects and chatted.  Then some other friends invited my patient, long-suffering husband and me over for dinner and drinks.  They live about five minutes away, so it was a nice practice outing for me.  It's about as much as I can do right now, and I could only do it because they didn't mind me showing up in a t-shirt and yoga pants and stretching out all over their furniture.  My kind of friends.

I was pretty worn out by the end of the day, but it was totally worth it.  I was well aware of today's date and its importance, and I was thankful to spend the day with people who mean a lot to me.  Many of you probably don't know this, but on this date 13 years ago, my patient, long-suffering husband was on a subway train headed for the World Trade Center.  While I thank God for him every day, I say an extra prayer for him on this date every year.  We've had some rough medical times this last year, but things are looking up for both of us and we have some great times ahead.  I am a very lucky girl.  A very lucky girl with a battery in my hip and a programmer and an industrial-strength magnet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment