Friday, September 19, 2014

9/19/14. The post where I have an epiphany.

9/19/14: didn't sleep quite as well last night, but still woke up feeling pretty good.  A friend picked me up late in the morning for a little shopping.  We went to an accessory shop, where I might have gone a little overboard buying jewelry to go with my new work dresses.  But no shoes.  I am still eight pounds away from regaining my shoe-buying privileges.  

I spent a fairly restful afternoon doing paperwork for my patient, long-suffering husband's music series and fielding email meeting invitations from work.  My colleagues have been very respectful during my convalescence, but it looks like they are as anxious for me to get back as I am to be there.  I think I'll have one day of quiet next week before things get crazy again.  Which is the way I like it.

We went out for a late dinner again with our visiting musicians.  About midway through dinner, I had an epiphany.  I realized I hadn't thought about my foot once since we'd gotten there. For the last year and a half, most of my attention has been focused on my foot.  It was impossible to enjoy myself for any length of time, because I was constantly thinking about the pain, whether I could take my shoe off without anyone noticing, when I could get home and elevate my foot.  Tonight, I was able to be in the moment, enjoying my food, the conversation, and the surroundings.  Sure, I had pain from my incisions.  And my foot isn't perfect.  But a 2 is a lot easier to ignore than a 6.  I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment