Tuesday, September 30, 2014

9/30/14. The post where I have "surgery".

9/30/14: just a partial work day today, because I had an appointment to have the cyst removed from my head.  I walked two sub-14 minute miles before work.  To the runners out there, that doesn't sound very impressive, but it felt like a real accomplishment.  Back in my healthier days when I was regularly doing 10Ks and triathlons, I could consistently walk 13 minute miles, but post-CRPS I haven't been anywhere close to that.  Until today.  My two miles averaged about 13 minutes and 56 seconds each - not much under 14, but it meant a lot to see the number 13 appear.  I have not had much luck with weight loss since my surgery, but I am eating healthy again and rebuilding muscle, so I feel like it is just a matter of time.  I sure hope so, because everywhere I go, I see cute fall boots begging for me to buy them.

After my walk, I put on one of my new dresses for work and was immediately distressed.  Nothing about it fit correctly.  It was too tight in some places, strangely saggy in others, and the neck was practically choking me.  I couldn't believe I had tried on this dress and thought it would be a good purchase just a few weeks ago.  Breathing a heavy sigh, I took it back off to save it for another day, and the tag scratched me in the face.  Yes, I had it on backwards.  I wish I could say this is the first time that has happened to me.  (At least this time I caught it before I got to work.)  When I put it back on correctly, it fit just like I expected it to do.  Crisis averted.  

Then I searched for shoes.  I got on my step ladder to get a pair from the top shelf.  (Yes, it takes a step ladder to see all of my shoes.  Don't judge.)  And once again it felt like Christmas morning.  I found another pair I did not recognize.  I had no recollection of buying them and from the look of the soles, I could not have worn them more than once or twice.  Best of all, they were perfect with the dress.  I may have a terrible memory and I may be unable to tell the front of my clothes from the back, but I have good taste in shoes.  I promised myself I wouldn't post any more photos of my shoes, but I can't resist.  


Early in the afternoon I left work, changed clothes, and went to the doctor for my appointment.  It was an easy procedure and all went well.  I've never had anything called a "surgery" where the doctor and I listened to the radio and talked about movies while he removed the cyst and stitched up the incision.  It made me a little nervous, but it didn't seem to bother him.  I won't have the pathology results back for a week, but he assured me everything looked normal.  At least, as normal as a big growth hanging off the side of your head can look.  

I had expected them to shave my hair around the cyst, but they didn't, and now I wish they had.  Afterward, the nurse put a very large dressing on the incision and then a piece of elastic around my head to put pressure on the dressing and keep it in place, which caused my hair to stick straight out all around the dressing.  Then she gave me the good news that I have to keep it in place for 48 hours.  After that, I can remove the dressing and wash my hair, but I have to keep a bandage on the incision for two weeks until the stitches are removed. I walked out of the office with mothers pulling their children away from me and adults staring wide-mouthed.  As I caught my reflection in the glass door, I realized why.  Brilliant.  I can hardly wait to go to work tomorrow.  And the next day. 

As you know, I am an optimist, so when I got home, I tried to make the most of it.  If only I could find a comedy duo filming nearby who needed a stand-in. 


Or a Revolutionary War reenactment needing a fife player.


Or an early Halloween party.


Or a royal wedding.


But no, it's just a plain old work day tomorrow.  A plain old work day with no meetings scheduled, thank goodness.  I can close my office door and hide myself away from the world until I am presentable again.  Fortunately I did not have rehearsal scheduled tonight, so I am home "taking it easy" as the dermatologist recommended.  He has no idea how much I have "taken it easy" over the past year and a half.  He also told me no strenuous exercise until the stitches are out.  He said I could walk, but no "speed walking".  (I'm not sure if a 13 minute 56 second mile counts as speed walking, but I'm going to guess it doesn't.)  So if you see what looks like The Mummy shuffling down the street in the dark tomorrow morning, don't worry.  It's just me.









No comments:

Post a Comment