Monday, September 15, 2014

9/15/14. The post where I learn lots of things that I already knew.

9/15/14: woke up at a decent hour this morning and actually felt refreshed.  The first thing I learned today that I already knew?  Quantity is not the same as quality when it comes to sleep.  I've had many hours of "sleep" over the last 10 days, but last night was a 96% sleep score kind of night.  Woo-hoo!  I got up and got to work on my recovery calendar.  

My first project was one about which neither I nor my patient, long-suffering husband was excited, but it had to be done. I made a calendar to tape on our shower door so we can record our weight each morning.  Or as I prefer to call it, the Spreadsheet of Shame.  We resort to this periodically when all else fails and it is time to get serious about our diets.  When I told him I had reinstituted the SoS, he thanked me, but said he would not be recording his weight this morning.  I informed him that I had already recorded mine and that he would, in fact, be recording his as well.  Behind his sad face, I saw a brief flash of happiness that I was getting back to my old, bossy self.

I took my last antibiotic about mid-morning.  Even if there had been more pills in the bottle, it would have been the last.  I spent the next 30 minutes trying not to vomit, then the following 30 minutes wishing I had vomited.  The second lesson I learned today that I already knew? I hate antibiotics.  (Sorry, Mom, I know you don't like me to use the word "hate." But surely you'll let it slide this time.  Because I really do hate them.)  I gave the empty pill bottle a huge raspberry as I tossed it in the recycling bin.  Not very mature, I know, but it sure made me feel better.

After lunch, I decided to brave a short trip to the grocery store for a few dinner items.  The store is even closer than the doctor's office - just two stop signs away.  (I just realized it's starting to sound like we live in a strip mall.  We don't, I promise.  We just live on the outer edge of a neighborhood.)  I felt like I did a good job driving, but I wondered why it was so bright out today.  Even with my sunglasses on, I was squinting so hard I could barely see, and what I could see was fuzzy.  As I entered the store, I reached up to take them off and learned the third thing today that I already knew.  Reading glasses are not sunglasses.  They don't help you see better when you are driving.  And they do a crappy job of keeping the sun out of your eyes. Perhaps it's still a bit early for solo excursions.

I made it through the store without any mishaps (as far as I know) and got home with all the items I intended to purchase.  By the time I got home, I was ready to rest.  I read on the couch for awhile and then did a few chores that weren't physically taxing.  Then I did the final thing on my recovery calendar for today.  I chopped my remaining pain pills in half.  If I am going to drive any substantial length and get my act together enough to go to work next week, I need to start tapering off now.  I took the first half pill, and it was chalk-errific! And I thought those things were hard to swallow whole.  Good thing I cut every single one of them in half before I thought to test one.  Well, on the bright side, it should encourage me to wean myself off them faster. 

I cleaned up after dinner while my patient, long-suffering husband went back to church for a rehearsal.  The fourth thing I learned today that I already knew?  Half a pain pill is not as effective as a whole pill.  In fact, I'd say it is about half as effective.  Boy, am I sore.  I have a feeling I will not be quite as chipper tomorrow, but I can do this.  Compared to the last year, it is nothing.  Well, okay, maybe not nothing.  But at least it is temporary.

The final (I hope) thing I learned today that I already knew?  You should hit "save" a lot when you are writing a blog.  Or at least once.  My patient, long-suffering husband came home from rehearsal tonight to find me frantically searching the internet for a way to recover an unsaved blog draft.  And guess what?  There wasn't a way.  I just finished writing the whole thing again from memory.  It was probably much better the first time.




No comments:

Post a Comment