Friday, September 5, 2014

9/5/14. The post where I tell you about the big day.

9/5/14: slept pretty well considering the anticipation I was feeling.  We were supposed to arrive at the hospital at 11:30 am, so I had plenty of time to obsess.  I did a few last loads of laundry.  Moved some things off the floor and out of bottom drawers so they were easy to reach.  Emptied the trash and recycling bins.  My patient, long-suffering husband had been chastised at his post-op appointment on Thursday for doing too much too soon, so I did not want to leave anything undone that he might be tempted to do.  It's a good thing we have an able-bodied houseguest for the next few days and close friends who live a few doors away.

My foot didn't feel too bad this morning, staying in the 5-6 range.  Just as we were leaving the house to go to the hospital, we got a call from the doctor's office.  He was running late and the start time would be pushed back an hour.  While my rumbling stomach and cotton mouth weren't very happy to hear the news, at least we were able to wait at home instead of in the frozen tundra that is the hospital waiting room.

An hour later, we left for the hospital.  Registration and pre-op went smoothly.  They explained the procedure in a little more depth.  They would knock me out for the first part of the procedure, while the doctor "rooted around." (Their words, not mine.)  Then they would wake me up so I could answer questions about the placement of the lead wires.  (It is extremely important that they be placed properly to ensure they work.)  Then they would knock me out again so they could complete the procedure.  They told me it was likely I would not remember the part of the procedure where I was awake and answering questions.  The best part of the pre-op was the hospital gown.  And I am not saying that sarcastically.  The gown had a special lining and attached to a hose and a heater on the wall to keep you warm and cozy while waiting for your procedure. I had a temperature control and there were two pockets I could use to warm my hands.  This may be the best invention ever.  I want one for my home.

When the anesthesiologist spoke with us, we explained to him that I have consistently had issues with nausea after surgery.  (My patient, long-suffering husband was more forceful in his explanation than I was, since he is the one who has to deal with the unpleasant consequences.)   The anesthesiologist assured us that because this was not general anesthesia, I should not have the same reaction.  The doctor was running even more late than expected, but after another wait, they finally wheeled me into the OR.

The surgery went well. I did vaguely remember the part where they woke me up and asked me questions, and the nurses told me later that I was very alert and provided good, detailed information.  (That's me - always the helper.)  While I was in recovery, they brought in my patient, long-suffering husband and showed us how to use the device.  I'll explain it more tomorrow and show you a picture.  They explained that it might not work very well between now and my post-op appointment because of the swelling in my back around the incision.  Great.

I felt pretty good and alert afterward and got home without any trouble.  I ate some cheese and crackers and had some water, and then took a short nap while my patient, long-suffering husband went to fill my prescriptions and pick up something light for dinner.  He came home with pain killers, antibiotics, and spring rolls.  I came downstairs to eat, take my medicine, and watch a little TV.  And guess what?  Spring rolls look a lot less tasty the second time you see them.  I don't know if it was the anesthesia or the medication, but my stomach suddenly became very unhappy until it was completely empty again. My patient, long-suffering husband told me later that I turned green several minutes before I felt sick, but he didn't have the heart to tell me.  On the bright side (and I always like to look on the bright side), at least my incision was not in a place where vomiting would cause my stitches to burst, and afterward I felt much better again.  I guess it's back to saltines and ginger ale for awhile. 

All in all, I think it was a success.  I can feel the device working and my foot feels pretty good. The next few days will be telling.  Thanks for all the good wishes.  I'll be back with more tomorrow, but for now, I have a date with my bed.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment