Tuesday, September 16, 2014

9/16/14. The post where I pay for my mistake.

9/16/14: I woke up early this morning and could tell immediately that today was going to be a rougher day.  I took another half pill and went back to bed, hoping the second time I woke up I would feel better.  No luck.

I'll have to take back what I said yesterday about half pills.  Turns out they are not even half as effective as whole pills.  At lunch time, I gave in to my patient, long-suffering husband's pleading and choked down a second half pill.  (Now I really wish I hadn't cut up all the pills.)  Apparently it was too late, though.  I got behind and there was no catching up, at least today.  The recovery calendar would have to wait - the rest of the day was about just getting through it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. At my post-op appointment last week, the nurse had warned me that it would hurt for awhile.  As she pointed out, they "shoved something in a place where there was already muscle and tissue."  I appreciate her discretion in not adding to the end of the sentence, "and fat."  As Mom and I agreed this afternoon while we were talking about our recent medical experiences, though, we think those are things that happen to other people.  That we are tougher and things won't be as bad for us.  We have both learned this year that we are human.  At least, I hope we've learned.  

Speaking of Mom, more great news on her front.  She got her most recent blood test results back and everything was normal. Ev-uh-ree-thing.  She gets to discontinue the hated potassium supplements and other "cancer diet" requirements and go back to eating like a "normal" person.  Which I suspect for her means vats of queso and M&M ice cream blizzards.  I am my mother's daughter.  

Mom and Dad took homemade cookies yesterday to the chemo nurses at the infusion center as a thank-you gift.  For those of you who don't know my dad, he is quite charming and has never met a stranger.  The nurses were already half in love with him, and his homemade cookies probably sealed the deal.  I am so happy for both of them. They have weathered a serious storm together and in the process, they set a great example for their family of what it means to be a team.  Now they get to celebrate and no one deserves it more.

Tomorrow morning I go to the dermatologist about the cyst on my head, an appointment I set before I knew my surgery date.  After that, I will take it easy and hope tomorrow goes a little better.  Most of all, I will try to remember that I am human.

No comments:

Post a Comment