Sunday, September 7, 2014

9/7/14. The post where I school you on spinal cord stimulators.

9/7/14: another good night of sleep (aided by pain medication).  I woke up nauseous this morning, but I felt better after some toast and ginger ale.  Today was another day of rest.  Our musician friend left town after making us a delicious meal last night and getting the kitchen straightened back up.  Now that's what I call service.  Of course, it may be awhile before he wants to come back again.  I suspect it was a tough weekend for him, between rehearsals, concerts, and taking care of us.

I had a lovely afternoon.  Some close friends came to visit, bearing gifts of flowers and gelato, and we had a nice chat with a glass of wine.  It was a very nice distraction and they didn't seem to mind that I haven't showered in two days and am a little loopy.  Which is why they are close friends.

So, I think I have it together enough to give you more information about my spinal cord stimulator.  The whole concept is really quite fascinating and high tech.  It came with an owner's manual and an instructional DVD.  Here is a photo of all the parts from the video:


The piece of equipment on the top right is the generator, which is the part that was implanted. Below it are the lead wires that attach to the generator and are placed in two different spots in the epidural space in my spine.  So, I have three different incisions: one large one on my lower right hip, where they implanted the generator, one about one-third of the way up my spine, and one on the very lowest part of my spine.  (If you recall the photos from the trial, the spine incisions are in the same place.)  The nurse told me the generator was the size of a cigarette pack, but I think that was an exaggeration (besides being gross).  I would say it's closer to the size of a garage door opener.  

The big piece of equipment on the left is the programmer.  There is a paddle (on the very far left) that I hold up against my skin where the generator is implanted, then I use the programmer to set the program and the amplitude (the strength of the vibration impulses - sort of like a volume control).  They set a single program at the hospital to get me through the week, and then at the post-op appointment they will set multiple programs.  

The other exciting piece of equipment that was not pictured above is this:


It is a super duper high-powered magnet that I can use to turn the generator off in case something happens to the programmer.  Or in case I need to reverse the Earth's rotation to defeat a super villain. 

The generator is not rechargeable, but it should last two to three years, depending on how much I use it.  At that time, they will either replace the generator, or (if my CPRS has gone into remission by then) remove it. I have some new restrictions because of the generator.  I have to turn it off to drive, because the impulses are "positional", meaning that theoretically, I could accidentally send a huge, shocking vibration to my foot while checking my blind spot, which is apparently undesirable.  I can't have an MRI, or any other medical diagnostic test that involves magnets.  I have to turn it off while going through an x-ray machine or an anti-theft device.  I wonder what the chances are that I'll remember all of this.

My foot is responding really well so far.  No redness, no swelling, and very little pain.  I still have a lot of surgical pain, but that will go away.  The best part?  Being able to sleep with my foot under the covers! I will spend the rest of the week recuperating and trying not to bend, twist, stretch, or lift more than five pounds. Oh, and looking at my pretty flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment