Monday, September 1, 2014

9/1/14. The post where I try to stay awake long enough to give an update.

9/1/14: my last post ended as we were going to dinner the night before the gala, which was three days ago.  I'll try to catch up quickly.  Friday morning started with a manicure and pedicure ("Color to Diner For" from the OPI Touring America collection). After all, a girl has to have her priorities straight.  I couldn't very well look like a trophy wife at the event without a fresh manicure and pedicure.   

The rest of the day was a blur.  Last minute errands, multiple trips to the venue, finalizing of the guest list.  Not to mention filling my car with dozens of assorted bizarre items "just in case".  (None of which we needed, of course, but it made me feel better.)  This was the second year for the event and the preparations went pretty smoothly.

The event itself was a smashing success.  The guests came dressed in their best and ready to have a good time.  Everyone enjoyed the food and drinks and the musicians put on a great show.  Most importantly, I was incredibly proud of my patient, long-suffering husband.  He looked handsome and elegant in his suit, was a gracious host, made a very impressive speech, and played a beautiful and moving piece of music.  Not bad for a guy who had back surgery 10 days ago, huh?  

In the spirit of the occasion, I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear a pair of red, strappy dress shoes with a relatively high heel.  Amazingly, I got through the evening at about a 6 and didn't regret my decision the next morning, although I had a couple of odd bruises on my foot.  We had a fairly lazy Saturday morning, said goodbye to our musician friend, and then got ready for our next set of visitors.  My brother and his family made a short weekend visit for the holiday.  They arrived in time to enjoy some drinks and snacks and watch our favorite college football team with us and the rest of our in-town family.  We had a fun evening and it reminded me of how quickly fall will be upon us, despite the stifling temperature.

Sunday morning was a work day for my patient, long-suffering husband and then we spent the rest of the day shuttling from one fun event to another.  An afternoon pool party and then dinner and drinks with a friend at his new home.  Unfortunately, the combination of heat and humidity, along with the activities of the prior few days, left my foot red and incredibly swollen by the end of the evening. 

I went to bed fairly early to get off my foot and slept in this morning.  We had nothing on the agenda today other than a few last-minute chores we wanted to finish before my surgery.  We went briefly to his office for him to copy some music, where I fell asleep on his couch.  Then a nice, leisurely lunch before going back home to do chores and laundry.  I sat down to catch up on email and fell asleep again.  I think I have spent the entire day either napping or yawning.  It's fortunate for me (and my employer) that today was a holiday.

I was at an 8 last night, but back down to a 6 this morning, and I've stayed there most of the day.  Three more days before the implant procedure.  The countdown continues.  In the meantime, I think I'll go to bed early.  This day of rest has exhausted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment